Help with ID…

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’ve had this brown stuff for months now. And it’s driving me crazy. Tank is over a year old. Params are unremarkable apart from never being able to get my phosphate above 0, this has been since the start of the tanks life. Nitrates are usually around 5.
This brown stuff appears in darker places eg under the live rock and if left unattended spreads over the sand. Not seen it actually on the LR. If I disturb the sand, I can catch it in filrer wool and appears brown. I’ve done this religiously, everyday yet it persists. It disappears at night then comes back in the day.
I’ve treated with dino x and chemiclean. Both didn’t budge it (not eliminated and came back… never went away).
Frustrating as it’s taking the fun away, rarely do I recently just look, it’s always look and maintain. Any help greatly appreciated.
Generally healthy otherwise tho, apart from aip plague and me beeching my stylo with what I think was chemiclean (may have been eaten by a filefish). Grrr
IMG_9068.jpeg
IMG_9067.jpeg
image.jpg

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms? Have you tried feeding alot?
I guess this seems the logical answer but I’ve heard these go away on their own…
Feeding a lot in relation to phosphates you mean? Ived added a whole bottle of neophos over the course of 6 months. Nothing. Although algae doesn’t seem to have a problem growing!! Tried 2 test kits and LFS test too.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this seems the logical answer but I’ve heard these go away on their own…
Feeding a lot in relation to phosphates you mean? Ived added a whole bottle of neophos over the course of 6 months. Nothing. Although algae doesn’t seem to have a problem growing!! Tried 2 test kits and LFS test too.
For my diatoms have not gone away. I think I have a bit of silicate or whatever. You could test for that. For me I just have alot of sand cuc.
When I had dinos I had 0 phos and I fixed it by accsedentaly dumping a ton of food in.

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my diatoms have not gone away. I think I have a bit of silicate or whatever. You could test for that. For me I just have alot of sand cuc.
When I had dinos I had 0 phos and I fixed it by accsedentaly dumping a ton of food in.
Interesting. I have never tested for silicates but have had 2 doses of absorption media for silicates in over the last few months. No change :(

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a jump guard to get a goby oddly, perhaps I’d better prioritise setting it up! No doubt my phosphates are contributing but it’s seems a bad idea to keep dumping in neophos when clearly phos is available as have some algae

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a jump guard to get a goby oddly, perhaps I’d better prioritise setting it up! No doubt my phosphates are contributing but it’s seems a bad idea to keep dumping in neophos when clearly phos is available as have some algae
The alge is consuming the phos faster than its added. So I wouldn't stop otherwise you will get dinos.

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alge is consuming the phos faster than its added. So I wouldn't stop otherwise you will get dinos.
Its lose lose then eh. 0 phos can cause diatoms but can treat that problem… hence my frustration. Want to get more sand stirrers but seems a bit like a temp ‘fix’ rather than a resolution

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its lose lose then eh. 0 phos can cause diatoms but can treat that problem… hence my frustration. Want to get more sand stirrers but seems a bit like a temp ‘fix’ rather than a resolution
Try and test for silacates. I haven't because I know I can't fix it.
I know the phos issue your having is quite common and there is quite a few threads. If you want I can link you some

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’ve had this brown stuff for months now. And it’s driving me crazy. Tank is over a year old. Params are unremarkable apart from never being able to get my phosphate above 0, this has been since the start of the tanks life. Nitrates are usually around 5.
This brown stuff appears in darker places eg under the live rock and if left unattended spreads over the sand. Not seen it actually on the LR. If I disturb the sand, I can catch it in filrer wool and appears brown. I’ve done this religiously, everyday yet it persists. It disappears at night then comes back in the day.
I’ve treated with dino x and chemiclean. Both didn’t budge it (not eliminated and came back… never went away).
Frustrating as it’s taking the fun away, rarely do I recently just look, it’s always look and maintain. Any help greatly appreciated.
Generally healthy otherwise tho, apart from aip plague and me beeching my stylo with what I think was chemiclean (may have been eaten by a filefish). Grrr
IMG_9068.jpeg
IMG_9067.jpeg
image.jpg
What is your water source? Do you have your own RODI unit? Have you tested the silicates in the tap and/or filtered water?
Fwiw, diatoms are generally benign, just ugly. The diatoms may be out competing other nuisance algaes (cyano, dinos, gha, etc) and saving you that headache.
I noticed you mentioned "0 phos can cause diatoms"... This is incorrect. Bottoming out phosphates can lead to dinos; diatoms appear/stay when you've got silicates.

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water source? Do you have your own RODI unit? Have you tested the silicates in the tap and/or filtered water?
Fwiw, diatoms are generally benign, just ugly. The diatoms may be out competing other nuisance algaes (cyano, dinos, gha, etc) and saving you that headache.
I noticed you mentioned "0 phos can cause diatoms"... This is incorrect. Bottoming out phosphates can lead to dinos; diatoms appear/stay when you've got silicates.
Hey, water is from LFH who I know monitor TDS, so bar any mistakes should be solid.
So perhaps a better approach is sand sifters and lean to live with it?
I had assumed most ugly phases could be caused by 0s so good to know not…
I’ll see what the silicates are then :)

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and test for silacates. I haven't because I know I can't fix it.
I know the phos issue your having is quite common and there is quite a few threads. If you want I can link you some
Yes please to the link…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back