Bicolor Foxface shedding??

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know if I should post this in reef discussion OR Fish Disease and treatment??

I have just put a bicolor foxface through TTM. He was eating and healthy and color was good. I put him in 180 gallon DT on Sunday first in an acclimation box and then right before lights out I set him loose in the tank. He held his own ... flame angel and flame back angel bothered him a bit.... the yellow tang and he had some issues but he held his own. The blue tang has ignored him.

That being said the foxface has some skin sloathing off of him?? it is ODD? I have never seen this? The skin floats off leaving an even more beautiful black coat? I don't get this I have never seen this before. I know my mandarins in the morning would have a white coat on them.... that would go away. I have never seen skin sloathing off? It is very light and looks like simililar how a human looks after a burn when sheets of their skin can be pulled off. IF the color being left behind was not even more brilliant I would have posted this on the disease treatment forum but he looks great?

suggestions/experiences?

foxy.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to need a better photo. White lights and as close up as possible. Either way, skin sloughing, as I understand, is no good either way. @Jay Hemdal

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fox face do this, kinda like a reptile shedding its skin. Threw me off the first time I saw this on mine as well. Nothing to worry about
Well, there you have it. I never stop learning here on R2R.

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... I will rest better knowing this is normal for a foxface. He is 3 days in new DT so IMO this is the critical timeframe. If a fish makes it through TTM and 7 days in new tank... I have them for YEARS. Tried not to freak out last night b/c although I could see skin shedding... the new skin looked better and he was swimming GREAT!

Love my new foxy!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back