Big build questions

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm in the planning phases of an upgrade so I have some general questions. Building a tank, it'll be between 450g and 500g, haven't decided on final dimensions.

Sump- what size sump do I need? I currently have a 4'x2'x2' (125g) sump that could be modified easily to work with the new tank. It'd also make transferring from old tank to new a lot easier. It has baffles made of glass and Siliconed in, I could cut them, move, then re Silicone to make the sump a bit larger - it has an integrated ato today, I can remove that baffle and make the drain and fuge areas larger. Would this be a large enough sump for a tank this size?

Returns - I'm thinking of 4 return holes in the tank. Would you recommend two return pumps or one larger one? How much turnover should I aim for? Basically, what size / flow of pump(s) do I need?

Skimmer - what skimmer would work for a tank this size? I checked out the bubble king 300 supermarin but it's quite pricey. Also looked at lifereef and those are a bit cheaper, I've never heard one, are they loud? Also wondering what other skimmer would be well suited. Assume the tank will be stocked with a heavy bioload.

Thanks for the help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a 660g and my sump is 84" and 140 gallons. I would say a 55,75 or 125 gallon size tank would be sufficient and the length would depend on what components you are adding to sump.
In my case, chiller unit, CA reactor, Reactor, skimmer, ATO, Doser and probes.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 660g and my sump is 84" and 140 gallons. I would say a 55,75 or 125 gallon size tank would be sufficient and the length would depend on what components you are adding to sump.
In my case, chiller unit, CA reactor, Reactor, skimmer, ATO, Doser and probes.
Ok cool. I basically have everything I need and want in the current sump so it should work size wise. What skimmer are you running? How many returns?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok cool. I basically have everything I need and want in the current sump so it should work size wise. What skimmer are you running? How many returns?
I have 7 returns with random flow nozzles and skimmer is large Aqua Maxx CO-5

Back