BIG Problem With My Bubble Coral.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, Here's the "Problem". It's BIG, dare say HUGE!;) And Rather beautiful IMO.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Pretty neat Huh? I believe its a Physogyra sp, I could be wrong. Its been an easy coral, esp because I really didn't listen to the "advice" given to me, but instead looked at the science written on them, where they came from, and then used the advice Id gotten to develop techniques the scientific info had implied. Looking at (or talking to) others who have had long term success with the animal is also invaluable and generally fall in line with the science and many of the recommendations. Doing this Actually helped me understand the recommendations.

Here's the Baby Pictures.
DSC_6234.jpg

This Pic was taken 6/26/15
This BIG beauty was in fact a Hitchhiker. I found it on a tiny piece of rubble at the LFS in the live rock bin. The Mrs mentioned I would have the best "Glass Anemone" collection EVER!

Ive given this coral more light than commonly "recommended", more flow than "recommended", and mounted it not on the sand but on a near vertical face as is often not "recommended".
The one recommendation I did follow was, stability. I rarely have swings. My changes to the system are also as slow as possible when adjusting nutrients, light, and alkalinity, especially and Importantly when things looked like they were going south.

Here's a pic on the sand before I mounted it.
IMG_0199.JPG

Recommendations, advice are wonderful things to have, but a tiny bit of research into the actual needs, habitats and habits of an animal can really help understand the recommendations and advice and why they're being recommended, and oft times why those recommendations may be biased or based on purely anecdotal evidence that's handed down by word of mouth and now borders on myth.
Personally, I spend an equal amount of time trying to understand My successes as I do my failures. And yea, because I followed my own research and read as much of the science as I could find and Ignored a lot of apparently vague "recommendations", I pretty much thought I was going to kill this coral the entire time I've had it.

But now I have this "Problem". A beautiful happy "easy" to care for animal.
bubble coral.JPG

A little research and a lot of Patience goes a long long way.
(and the Mrs took this last awesome picture)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool.

Good you followed your own instincts. General recommendations for corals have one huge hole, every tank has it's own personality. Some hobbyist feel rushed to see results, too many interventions at one time, too many variables. Wait, watch and slowly fine tune, more is not better.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, Here's the "Problem". It's BIG, dare say HUGE!;) And Rather beautiful IMO.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Pretty neat Huh? I believe its a Physogyra sp, I could be wrong. Its been an easy coral, esp because I really didn't listen to the "advice" given to me, but instead looked at the science written on them, where they came from, and then used the advice Id gotten to develop techniques the scientific info had implied. Looking at (or talking to) others who have had long term success with the animal is also invaluable and generally fall in line with the science and many of the recommendations. Doing this Actually helped me understand the recommendations.

Here's the Baby Pictures.
DSC_6234.jpg

This Pic was taken 6/26/15
This BIG beauty was in fact a Hitchhiker. I found it on a tiny piece of rubble at the LFS in the live rock bin. The Mrs mentioned I would have the best "Glass Anemone" collection EVER!

Ive given this coral more light than commonly "recommended", more flow than "recommended", and mounted it not on the sand but on a near vertical face as is often not "recommended".
The one recommendation I did follow was, stability. I rarely have swings. My changes to the system are also as slow as possible when adjusting nutrients, light, and alkalinity, especially and Importantly when things looked like they were going south.

Here's a pic on the sand before I mounted it.
IMG_0199.JPG

Recommendations, advice are wonderful things to have, but a tiny bit of research into the actual needs, habitats and habits of an animal can really help understand the recommendations and advice and why they're being recommended, and oft times why those recommendations may be biased or based on purely anecdotal evidence that's handed down by word of mouth and now borders on myth.
Personally, I spend an equal amount of time trying to understand My successes as I do my failures. And yea, because I followed my own research and read as much of the science as I could find and Ignored a lot of apparently vague "recommendations", I pretty much thought I was going to kill this coral the entire time I've had it.

But now I have this "Problem". A beautiful happy "easy" to care for animal.
bubble coral.JPG

A little research and a lot of Patience goes a long long way.
(and the Mrs took this last awesome picture)

So I expected to see a dead or dying coral. Glad to be reading about your "problem". Hahaha!

OP
OP
saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! I can't believe the growth you've had on that beauty! That's a hitchhiker I'd like to find;)
I have a green sinularia that came in on my frogspawn, it was 2mm booger. It is now bigger than the frogspawn.
yeah very nice. time to frag and give on some! :D
haha
It weierd the base it still on the chip in the picture and is only a couple inches around. I have no Idea how Id frag it.
Guess I need A bigger tank.
Very cool.

Good you followed your own instincts. General recommendations for corals have one huge hole, every tank has it's own personality. Some hobbyist feel rushed to see results, too many interventions at one time, too many variables. Wait, watch and slowly fine tune, more is not better.
Thanks. Kinda feels like most folks forget they're animals sometimes and only chase wrote numbers rather than look at the animal as a whole.
Fortunately I watch way to much Attenborough....

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back