Big volume foam and skimming.

Jpzanc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Design and functionality alike, should be able to skim nice and slow, with auto measure dosing kit inline. It will have a flow to refugium, and wave effect for flow.what you think? It covers the basics.

Screenshot_2023-02-04-21-19-03-764_com.whatsapp.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-04-23-17-23-208_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-04-23-16-15-634_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-04-21-59-33-200_com.android.chrome.jpg images (2) (9).jpeg Screenshot_2023-02-04-22-37-08-183_com.whatsapp.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I'm confused what you are proposing.

Are you intending this will be connected to a reef aquarium? A GIANT reef aquarium?

Unless you are proposing an experiment to test something, we should move this either to the main forum or to maybe the large tank forum.

OP
OP
J

Jpzanc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to see if I can indeed use this with a reef aquarium. And giant perhaps not. But semi big yes.
Sorry, I'm confused what you are proposing.

Are you intending this will be connected to a reef aquarium? A GIANT reef aquarium?

Unless you are proposing an experiment to test something, we should move this either to the main forum or to maybe the large tank forum.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of long term concerns. I assume the inside is lined with something to protect it from oxidation. How well will it hold up to the abuses of saltwater?

You would have go through it and replace all the brass fittings and valves with suitable substitutes.

I'm not sure what is used in large commercial aquariums. Do they use metal components? Or do they opt for something more suited for the salty environment?

OP
OP
J

Jpzanc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of long term concerns. I assume the inside is lined with something to protect it from oxidation. How well will it hold up to the abuses of saltwater?

You would have go through it and replace all the brass fittings and valves with suitable substitutes.

I'm not sure what is used in large commercial aquariums. Do they use metal components? Or do they opt for something more suited for the salty environment?
The interiors are lined yes, the one in the photo is actually used for foam creation for fire fighting purposes. So inside it has departments for the specifics in that line. I do however have a few of them salvaged from redundant and closed down sites. There are few variations all corrosion resistant to materials more resistant to oxidation than current available alternativs are. Allowing me to use the pressure vessel with saltwater.
I actually work in the mining industry. And we handle SG daily for processing of minerals, and the waste water of that, which is harmful to nature thus treated beforehand. And what I've seen from that and what is required to maintain a saltwater aquarium doesn't seem to be that far off.
Already decided on the two as pictured above, they have a doseine for foam creation build in. So will use the two of them as dosing systems for quality controll rather than skimming. The thermal vessels seems to be a better skimmer option.

OP
OP
J

Jpzanc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And secondly, I am researching bit more on corrosion factors, and will most likely treat the inner surfaces to enhance longevity

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so assuming the container is reef safe, how would you be using it?

Assuming you make a foam somehow, you would send the foam into the tank? Then what? How do you remove the "skimmate"?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What liner is in the AFFFtank? what material is the tank made of ?
you realize you cant just use it to make foam like in fire extinguishers right? PFOA and PFOS will build up in your livestock.

OP
OP
J

Jpzanc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay the tanks are being used for water cleaning basically. Instead of the foam tank I'm going to use to thermal tanks for water treatment. And I'm using a cyclone for the skimming, that has a rotational skim head in.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so your not talking about a protein skimmer at all. Sounds your overflow box will have a cyclone like they use on pool overflows? Whats your need to use steel tanks for this.. i work with steel/aluminum/FRC tanks every day and would never consider them to be a first choice for anything related to salt water... you realize Chlorine pits steel right?
so you need a liner then whats the liner made of and what reactions /leaching could it cause to

what do you mean by "water treatment"

OP
OP
J

Jpzanc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so your not talking about a protein skimmer at all. Sounds your overflow box will have a cyclone like they use on pool overflows? Whats your need to use steel tanks for this.. i work with steel/aluminum/FRC tanks every day and would never consider them to be a first choice for anything related to salt water... you realize Chlorine pits steel right?
so you need a liner then whats the liner made of and what reactions /leaching could it cause to

what do you mean by "water treatment"
Still busy with that. As for part one yes. Overflow to cyclone system, inline thermal boilers..

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back