BiKe’s 100.3 Waterbox

BiKes100g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up everyone ! I’m eager to show you what I’ve been up to but let’s start from the top and list what all I have now and what my plans are in the future.
100.3 Waterbox.
2 Radion XR15's
2 mp10s
Icecap ato
Ecotech Vectra M2
Reef Octopus 152s
60 lbs of Dry rock mix of Marcos shelf and base.
80 lbs of Carribsea live sand
RODI 4 Stage

So I get the tank in the house with the help of my buddy and we put it up on the stand and I pack all the electronics inside. (Remember this)
I purchased the stand preassembled so I saved some time!
The next morning the wife and I head out to pick up a fitting for the RODI to work on our garden tub that we have used maybe a total of 10 times in the 8 years we’ve lived in our home lol. I removed the tub spout and walla we’re making RODI water in my garden tub now filled with 2 brute cans. I followed the steps to starting it up and nothing was coming out... what’s this little shut off valve for? I turn it on and boom! Water... Little did I know that was to flush the membrane and I ran it like that for 60 gallons of water. During the water making I started on my scape. I traced the outside of the tank on cardboard and went to work... I made this awesome scape after about 4 hours of work and I was in love with finally. Started glueing with the reef putty I picked up. I used all of it and left for work while it dried. My wife called that night and told me she turned the RODI off. On my lunch break I ran to the LFS and picked up some other things I needed. They only had instant ocean salt and I had already looked on BRS for the pro reef salt they recommended but saw it would take a while to get there and I was of course not waiting on that.
I also picked up Turbostart for my cycle which I planned on doing with 2 Clowns.
Next day I mix up saltwater and really start setting up the tank. I pull everything out I stored inside and just happen to realize the over flow box is pretty big and absolutely ruins my scape...
After wiping away my tears I march on and with the plumbing , lighting and remaking my now horrible scape that has kind of grew on me but my wife likes it ( or she was lying to me so I would quit crying) I get the sand in and everything is ready for water. I check the salinity and start filling her up. Once I used all the water I made I went up to start filling more water, I turn on the RODI and I’m now getting 2 TDS water which stresses me so much I feel like throwing up. I just filled this thing with 60+ gallons of unknown tds water because I didn’t check it after starting it and I didn’t realize until this moment I made all that with the flush on. I called the RODI maker they ran me through all the checks and I posted on here and someone responded my DI is possibly spent already. The RODI maker suggests my water might contain Chlorimines so I call the water company and they give me the run around. Someone locally posted some chaeto for free and I sent him a message asking if he had a 4 stage and he said he did and never had any issues. I chalked it up to bad DI and ordered a new cartridge to test. I left the water in the tank and put the mp10s to work.
I got a new DI cartridge and made another 60 gallons with 0 tds the whole time. Tank is filled, pump is running, lights are on! I download Mobius and of course have to show off by running the storm and disco lights for an hour or so!!
We let the tank run for a day until everything settles for the most part and I test all my parameters. Nothing to speak of and we head off to get some basic clowns to cycle! The first we went to had an amazing assortment of clowns and other fish... with signs that said none of these fish are for sale at this time. Something bad happened and honestly I probably won’t return to that store. Looked like the tanks were pretty unkept. ( wife and daughter have now seen the amazing clown morphs ) We head to another local pet store where the tanks looked amazing and so did the fish. Pick up what looks like a Snowflake and a 90% white clown that are bonded already. I don’t have a QT tank so I dripped them and added the Turbostart and them to their new home.
I would love to get some advice on flow with the pump and the mp10s because I have some wild vortex’s like I would see in every pirate cartoon as a kid! Also I would like recommendations on the lighting settings for the fish for now. If any other Waterbox owners have made a refugium in their sump or something else similar let me know. I have to purchase something for all the electrical controllers that I would like to sit next to the tank because right now I have a spaghetti monster that’s giving me nightmares.

Here’s my scape before I noticed the overflow.
E0D84093-3F49-4673-B145-DC3E35C83655.jpeg

Here’s the one I ended up with;Vomit
4F4AF9E1-1E96-4FB4-A175-8A6FE5BF7AFB.jpeg

It has a pretty cool spot in the back right corner that I will take some better pictures of for u guys to see. I ended up taking about 15-20 pounds of rock out from the original scape. It looks better then what this picture shows.
E17A8308-6ED7-4319-9702-5FB8BB53095B.jpeg
142B4394-F8AD-43EA-BE70-0A3B721218C5.jpeg

Here’s the fish already trolling the cat lol I need a lid for this reason
77D0E6EF-869D-455D-930C-59E5DD6C038E.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Tank looks good. Rock came out great and double points for the kitty. For lighting I would just run a simple program. I don’t have anything for radion, I use AI but someone should. Or if it has an on and of preset that should be fine. Flow should be just enough so there are no dead spots for detris to accumulate. Once you get coral than adjustments can be made.

keep them pics coming

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
BiKes100g

BiKes100g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a small CUC with 10 hermits and 10 snails and a conch. Took a few trips to WWC to check stuff out and my wife and daughter fell in love with the conchs lol. In the process of purchasing a 20 gallon QT tank and in the mean time the lfs has a 30 day QT process for 10$ so we bought a Hippo Tang and a fire fish for now. Picked up a few Zoa frags and a green star frag. Also got a Kenya tree! Will post pictures tomorrow or when the lights come on and they’re all open.

OP
OP
BiKes100g

BiKes100g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a jar of pods and have been adding the recommended phytoplankton! The tank has a brown algae covering the rocks now. The local reef store has added a Yellow eye Kole Tang to QT and a Yellow Watchman Goby to QT also. I made a pretty crazy impulse order and got a couple of LPS frags on sale from AquaSD. I’ve fallen in love with Scolys so we will see how this goes. I also got some other LPS like Acans Duncan’s and a few Torch’s on the cheaper end. I also got a few meat corals. I’m so excited to feed them all! I will post a few pictures once they arrive and open up.

OP
OP
BiKes100g

BiKes100g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add the cat finally went for a swim. I left for work and he wasn’t acting his usual self crying and howling for food as soon as he sees me. I leave for work and my wife calls me 2 hours later asking me if I messed around in the tank and spilled water. She’s yelling at me lol! I said nope wasn’t me... check the cat lol
83E67BCC-0D78-488C-8596-75263FA98D0A.png

OP
OP
BiKes100g

BiKes100g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too funny on the cat! Solid build so far! What percentage do you run your return pump on?
Pump is running on 45%. I went into WorldWideCorals and they’re running a few Waterbox 100.3s on the sales floor and I asked what they’re running everything on and I tried to keep it close to what they had. I even opened there sumps up to look inside.

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump is running on 45%. I went into WorldWideCorals and they’re running a few Waterbox 100.3s on the sales floor and I asked what they’re running everything on and I tried to keep it close to what they had. I even opened there sumps up to look inside.

Smart! I am actually going to head down there next week and gonna check it out. My parents live in Orlando, so im gonna come down and visit.

OP
OP
BiKes100g

BiKes100g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night the wife and I were trying to identify these white creature / egg looking things when I noticed my first few spots of coraline algae growing on one of my rocks and back glass. Pretty exciting to me.... my wife thinks I weird lol.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back