Bimaculatus Anthias Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter 64Ivy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

64Ivy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2011
Messages
465
Reaction score
447
Location
Greenwich, CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Bimacs have the same propensity of turning male in captivity as, say Bartletts? I just introduced a group of 5 into a moderately stocked 500g DT. All females at this this point. Just wondering if I need to bother searching for a male to add or just wait.
 
Do Bimacs have the same propensity of turning male in captivity as, say Bartletts? I just introduced a group of 5 into a moderately stocked 500g DT. All females at this this point. Just wondering if I need to bother searching for a male to add or just wait.
I've found that in a group of just females one will transition to male.
 
They don't 'multiple male' quite as much as bartletts, but it is possible. I have nine in my system and two are males. One came that way and a second female changed in the tank. Agree with TJ, let them work it out.
 
Pictures? I love bi-macs, if I ever have a larger tank I will get a group of them [emoji12]
 
Bimacs.jpg
 
Bimacs are awesome; my absolute favorite large anthias. Colorful, not twitchy like squares or Pictilis, and not murderous like bartletts or lyretails.

In my post photbucket life, I need to figure out how to do pictures here.
 
Okay, so what does everyone think of adding another trio to these five? I know I have the room but I'm thinking compatibility as my QT protocol would take another two months and I couldn't even order them until early September at the earliest. Therefore estimated introduction into the DT would be November, so I figure these guys should be fairly well established assuming they continue to do well. So would the two 'groups' meld you think, then or am I asking for a turf war here?
 
I would be wary of adding 3 to a group of 5. The 5 will have the upper hand and will outnumber the 3. If the numbers were reversed it would have a better shot of working out, but based on this situation I would advise against.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new