Bio Cube 16 - Filter Media

C-M72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I just recently purchased a Biocube 16 and am in the beginning stages of getting it up and running. I have Live rock and sand in the tank as well as a Marine pure bio filter sphere in the media shelf and am running the stock filter in chamber 1. Is there any other media I should add to my media shelf? I am looking at grabbing the in-tank media shelf upgrade as well.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always think a bag of carbon is good to have.

Other than that, I think you are good to go unless you have a specific need or goal in mind for the filter media. For example, if you are trying to lower phosphates, then a small bag of GFO may be an option in the future.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up nephews 13.5 Evo...

We will be running Chemi Pure Elite, Carbon, GFO and Filter Floss with some bio balls/media.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BioCube 32g that has been up and running over 2 years. I based my filtration on the YouTube video “Coralife Biocube Basics, Simple Filtration Modifications.” You might want to check it out.

OP
OP
C

C-M72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up nephews 13.5 Evo...

We will be running Chemi Pure Elite, Carbon, GFO and Filter Floss with some bio balls/media.
What is the arrangement you are running those in top to bottom? Filter Floss, Elite, Carbon, Bio balls?

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the arrangement you are running those in top to bottom? Filter Floss, Elite, Carbon, Bio balls?
To Clarify,.. The main Middle chamber we are adding a 3d Printed 4 level insert... that has 4 seperate spaces for media. In the main Middle Chamber in which we are upgrading to the 4vlevel insert, we are running Chemi Pure In the middle, bottom will be Carbon, top/overflow is Filter Floss. Bio Balls in 2nd insert area.

The Evo 13.5 has 3 Chambers, one of which houses the heater and return pump, another Chamber is for a Skimmer, which we are not going to run, and middle is factory foam filter, that we are replacing with 3d printed 4 level insert.

So technically you can stuff all 3 Chambers with as much filtration as you want....just make sure it's all in filter media bags...I personally don't believe it makes a difference where you put what.

Once it's all said and done, I will update my build thread.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/roatan-reefs-build-thread.902953/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back