Bio Filtration

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a 10 gallon refugium tank for my 29 aquarium. I know some are against having a refugium but I have decided to go with one. Looking at what to use for a bio filter I came across aquarium gravel as an option. I would like to use this in my refugium, I drew it up so you could see what I mean. What are your thoughts on this idea. http://mepling.deviantart.com/gallery/42590879 1 1/2 inches deep or so, at the bottom of the bubble trap under my filter media. This way the water will have to pass through the gravel to get to the refugium. I figured I could stir it up once in a while to keep it working freely. Also, should I have the carbon on top of the filter media or is under fine also? Thanks for any input.

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The layout looks like a successful one. You may want to consider a small hang on back skimmer Hang-On-Back | CoralVue. I would not use the gravel, the live rock in the refugium will do the same process. the gravel may become counter productive when it starts trapping lots of detritus. Also be sure to watch the filter media in the water-in section. If you do not clean it regularly and it clogs you may end up with a water spill on the floor.

BeardedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could delete the first 4" to add to the refugium and have the drain water just drain into the refugium. My brother's 180g with a 55g sump is setup this way and works well.

OP
OP
M

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt think of that, It is up and cycling right now but I can certainly remove those walls. I just figured there would be less sand mixing around and all that. Thanks.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ditch the activated carbon, bio media and filter material, all stuff you dont need, Id say throw in a triple baffle system at the beginning to get rid of any airbubbles, and will allow for better flow, then I'd do a 4-6inch deep sand bed in the refugium, and only use one baffle before the return pump.

And +1 Id leave enough room for a HOB protien skimmer, would help alot, If you used the triple baffle then you could put the skimmer in the first section (input) bubbles get stuck in bubble trap (tripple baffle) then youd have light flow over the refugium and into the return pump area, where you could also put a heater btw.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled.jpg
Drew that real quick for You haha.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for no media being..
1. Carbon has proven to have ill health effects on certain species including tangs.
2. Look up the berlin filtration method. Live rock does most work.
3. Deepsand bed will aid in that.
4. The 3 baffles prevent micro bubbles and allow stable water height for skimmer.

Just my 2 cents. Do lots of research dont just listen to me. :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 71.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back