Bio pellet without reactor?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well will bio pellets work when used without a reactor?

From my understanding (please correct me if I'm, wrong), the bio pellets will slowly dissolve and release carbon source into the water overtime so given there's some flow, in theory, it should still work to some degree (although not as well as reactor of course).

Initially I thought about the bio pellets when I was thinking about ways to improve my pseudo kreisel tank. The tank has enough filtering capacity as a whole but the filtering equipments are all placed outside the kreisel part of the setup and with the nutrient build up from the feed and poop traped inside of the kreisel part, even with the constant circulation of the water, I thought it might help if I could find a way to reduce the nutrient level inside the kreisel tank. One of the idea I thought of was to place a few bio pellets inside the kresiel tank so that it releases some carbon source into the water slowly overtime to help reduce the nutrient level inside the kreisel tank. The flow won't be high so I don't expect it to do wonders but I'd be happy if it works even just a little.
What do you think of this idea?

There are no issues with the water parameters according to the test kits but I think this could be misleading as different areas at different times might have different levels of nutrient.

I think the usual carbon dosing such as vodka or vinegar is too strong of a tool for my needs and could suck up the oxygen from the water, promote growth of unwanted organisms and could potentially harm the larvae I'm trying to raise. So something more subtle, not too strong, that works slowly over time, in the targeted area would be the best.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the pellets that dont move all clump together and start to stink very badly. Wouldnt run them without a reactor
I was thinking of like 1 or 2 small bio pellets just sitting at the bottom of the kresiel tank so I wasn't really worried about clumping.
I don't think I should have more so it doesn't get in the way of the flow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back