Bio-Pellets and Phosphate export no Skimmer

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a bio-pellet reactor for a couple years and it was so efficient at removing both nitrate and phosphate that my corals suffered (but that's a different story).

I can understand how Nitrate is turned into nitrogen gas to export and my tank still does this without bio-pellets (stays at 2 ppm without skimmer, or macro algae), but where does the phosphate go? Now I run GFO, but was may tank making something like Phosphine Gas when I was running bio-pellets?!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not phosphine. It doesn't happen and is super toxic.

The N and P may have mostly been incorporated into organism tissues (bacteria, creatures that ate the bacteria, etc.) . N is needed for all proteins, DNA, RNA, etc. P is needed for DNA, RNA, phospholipids, some proteins, etc.

FWIW, with N, we really have no idea how much N2 is produced relative to other uses, such as making new organism tissues, but the fact that organic carbon dosing most often consumes all the nitrate before phosphate runs out would suggest that at least some does.

OP
OP
Chris Villalobos

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not phosphine. It doesn't happen and is super toxic.

The N and P may have mostly been incorporated into organism tissues (bacteria, creatures that ate the bacteria, etc.) . N is needed for all proteins, DNA, RNA, etc. P is needed for DNA, RNA, phospholipids, some proteins, etc.

FWIW, with N, we really have no idea how much N2 is produced relative to other uses, such as making new organism tissues, but the fact that organic carbon dosing most often consumes all the nitrate before phosphate runs out would suggest that at least some does.

So was I physically exporting phosphorus for years without realizing it? I guess there was a lot of bacteria buildup on my filter socks and every now and then I would remove some hair algae, but it seems that it was always zero while running bio-pellets and now that I quit I use GFO.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was I physically exporting phosphorus for years without realizing it? I guess there was a lot of bacteria buildup on my filter socks and every now and then I would remove some hair algae, but it seems that it was always zero while running bio-pellets and now that I quit I use GFO.

yes, that makes sense.

Happy Reefing. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back