Bio pellets stuck on top of the reactor

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyy everyone. Just a quick question. I have a bio pellet reactor and i have used some tropic marin bio pellets. Yesterday i went ahead a did an add-up of pellets (which i soaked overnight) however some still float on the top of the reactor while most of them are tumbling ling normally. Will the once stuck on the top cause any problems or can i just let them be? The flow in the reactor is perfect and fluidisation is normal. I have attached a pic for you to see as well.

image.jpg

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have never had mine float. If a bunch did like that I would suspect they were defective and not dense enough to sink. I would probably remove them and leave them in some water overnight or for a day to see if the eventually sank.
That doesn't seem normal to me.
I use BRS bulk pellets in a Reef Octo reactor.

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have never had mine float. If a bunch did like that I would suspect they were defective and not dense enough to sink. I would probably remove them and leave them in some water overnight or for a day to see if the eventually sank.
That doesn't seem normal to me.
I use BRS bulk pellets in a Reef Octo reactor.
Thanks for the reply:))

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my reactor the outlet is just out the side of the body at the top with no strainer.
Those pellets would have gone straight into my sump

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my reactor the outlet is just out the side of the body at the top with no strainer.
Those pellets would have gone straight into my sump
Do you think it will cause any problems if those pellets remain stationary. I mean they dont pass through the reactor and flow is passing through them.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it will cause any problems if those pellets remain stationary. I mean they dont pass through the reactor and flow is passing through them.
If they dont tumble they will clump when stuff grows on them. Then they might sink or they might plug the reactor.
I would watch them. I dont think there is any immediate harm.

I am sorry to ask this but I have done some strange things myself. Are you sure those are biopellets you put in there?

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they dont tumble they will clump when stuff grows on them. Then they might sink or they might plug the reactor.
I would watch them. I dont think there is any immediate harm.

I am sorry to ask this but I have done some strange things myself. Are you sure those are biopellets you put in there?
Yes i see. Yes those are the tropic marin bio pellets however the ones that are on top are the tropic marin bio pellets but the older version which came along with the reactor as a gift. The smaller ones in the picture are the newer version. I just didnt want them to go to waste and i am out of stock of the new one for now

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i see. Yes those are the tropic marin bio pellets however the ones that are on top are the tropic marin bio pellets but the older version which came along with the reactor as a gift. The smaller ones in the picture are the newer version. I just didnt want them to go to waste and i am out of stock of the new one for now
I actually have the same issue as you, but worse. Mine are the BRS biopellets, and half are fine and tumbling but the rest are up top. I think my issue was technically due to flow being too strong, causing them to rise to the top. But if you can easily scoop out that top layer I would recommend it so you don't run into the same issue as me.

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have the same issue as you, but worse. Mine are the BRS biopellets, and half are fine and tumbling but the rest are up top. I think my issue was technically due to flow being too strong, causing them to rise to the top. But if you can easily scoop out that top layer I would recommend it so you don't run into the same issue as me.

When I change pellets and restart the reactor, I open the valve on my manifold very slowly until I get to the proper tumble, 3-4 inches below the top of the reactor. Opening the valve too quickly will bring them to the top, and will stay there due to the pressure of the water going through the upper strainer. Closing the valve all the way may not bring all the pellets back down either.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back