Bio pellets Without a Skimmer?

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sump is fairly full with a reefmat 500, refugium, miricle mud, nyos reactor and the return section. I am looking to run bio pellets to remove some nitrate however I know you need a skimmer to add more O2. Could this be done with something like an air stone in the sump instead?

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think it has anything to do with o2 it's more pulling out the extra bacteria that consumed the nitrate. I could be wrong thi

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biopellets/carbon dosing works by growing bacteria that utilize that carbon source and then subsequently being removed by the skimmer as skimmate. If the bacteria isn't being removed, they would inevitably just die in the system and decompose back into some or all of the compounds that they uptook.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biopellets/carbon dosing works by growing bacteria that utilize that carbon source and then subsequently being removed by the skimmer as skimmate. If the bacteria isn't being removed, they would inevitably just die in the system and decompose back into some or all of the compounds that they uptook.

Or be consumed by something such as a coral or a sponge. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back