Skimmer or Reefmat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lostatsea
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Lostatsea

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 2, 2022
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Location
Essex
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Would appreciate some feedback on the following dilemma! I have a fairly heavily stocked 6ft fowlr tank which I have been battling high phosphate and nitrate on for some time. I would not normally be to concerned about the levels for fish but I have some really nice delicate Angelfish in there so I would like to give them the best conditions possible. I originally had a Deltec 1000i skimmer running with a Red Sea Reefmat 1200 but my nitrates reached well over 80 ppm and phosphates were off the Hanna scale. I removed the skimmer and used the space for a Refugium growing Caulerpa and Chaeto and the nitrates have now dropped to about 50 ppm and phosphate about 1 ppm. Interestingly my PH has also increased. I have continued with my 20% weekly water changes so the improvement is definitely due to the addition of the Refugium. My question is I do not have enough space in the sump for the skimmer and the Reefmat (I want to keep the Refugium section) so do you think I would be better off swapping the Reefmat for the skimmer ie do you think the skimmer would do a better job at lowering the nitrates or is the Reefmats particular removal likely to have a larger effect. I know in an ideal world I would have all three (Reefmat, skimmer and refugium but unfortunately the sump is not large enough or set out right). I could also possibly fit a larger skimmer such as the reef octopus 200 ext in the Reefmat section as another option. Thanks for your advice.
 
surface agitation always helps but if it’s a one to one swap against a skimmer (with its zillions of micro bubbles) ?
I’d imagine probably not…
still there is no rule says skimmers are a absolute must have. Many folks here operate tanks with one, I have also
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new