Redsea ReefMat Plumbing

Ian Baxter

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 4, 2019
Messages
698
Reaction score
182
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased the ReefMat 1200 and it doesn’t fit in my sump with the skimmer. Has anyone plumbed it outside of the sump? If so, how did you do it?
 
I don't believe ive ever seen that done. The water has to drain through the unit and out the bottom and that part isn't plumbed, plumbing is only used to get the water to the floss. It would have to be in another reservoir with a pump to return the water which would have to match the flow of the water going in. Maybe I'm just not very creative and someone else has an idea.
 
I don't believe ive ever seen that done. The water has to drain through the unit and out the bottom and that part isn't plumbed, plumbing is only used to get the water to the floss. It would have to be in another reservoir with a pump to return the water which would have to match the flow of the water going in. Maybe I'm just not very creative and someone else has an idea.
Yeah, I have an extra reservoir that I can put it in that’s drilled, so that might work. Just raise it up and use gravity. Not sure how to integrate a pump, but the would probably be best.
 
Gravity from a reservoir could work fine if you can get the level in the reservoir at the correct height. It would only flow as fast as it entered similar to through a sump chamber. I thought about something like that but I assumed it would take up too much space. Not sure about the 1200 but my 500 has a set of legs but can also hang on the edge of a rimless container
 
Gravity from a reservoir could work fine if you can get the level in the reservoir at the correct height. It would only flow as fast as it entered similar to through a sump chamber. I thought about something like that but I assumed it would take up too much space. Not sure about the 1200 but my 500 has a set of legs but can also hang on the edge of a rimless container
I have the legs too and the container has a small enough rim to hold it if needed. But a pump might be the best option for the proper flow, so it doesn’t just have some stagnant water. It used to be a refugium that would gravity flow but it collected detritus like crazy. It was from the previous owner and I took it apart.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new