bio pellets

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here is working with Bio pellets method in his reef ?
what is the pros and cons ?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's carbon dosing right? I don't personally use that method, but I am pretty sure many on here do. Bumping the thread so some experts can just in or point you in the right direction.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them, they are not the fastest method for nutrient control IMHO but they are the most hands free…
I’ll let others chime in but for me the biggest draw is you can setup a reactor and not bother with it for a while or not until the pellets dwindle down…
Some pellets require regular bacterial dosing …
Also it allegedly helps if you direct the outflow to a skimmer ..

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my reactor eats the last of the pellets I'm removing it and going with other forms of carbon dosing. The polymer pellets get used up pretty fast, they are overpriced and even with output directed to a good, oversized skimmer I end up with too much biofilm. Thats mostly evident when I get water on the glass and have to clean it and it's a pain because it just smudges around and takes some effort to get clean. Usually, several cloths and a microfiber to finish. Oh yeah almost forgot probe fouling too.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka or Vinegar is fairly cheap and easy. Vinegar is the most cost effective.

I’m currently using Vodka that Cruz A recommended to fight Dino’s with. I never implemented his regimen, because it was a bit aggressive for me, but I am making use of the Vodka. It’s a pretty good carbon source because it’s 10x distilled. I’ve seen better PE for sure.

Smirnoff No21 Ten times filtered.

IMG_0301.png

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many nutrient control methods but all require you to to keep measuring NO3 and PO4 so you don't overdose. NO3 is easy so take your pick. Salifert is mine. Only Hanna ULR for phosphate. Regardless of method keep testing nutrient. Getting too low is worse than too high. Too low and dinoflagellate risk.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran them for about 6 months. Never dosed bacteria ever for anything so can't speak there.
Honestly just got tired of all the mulm and gross brown stuff in and on everything in my sump. Constantly cleaning out pumps.
There are many carbon dosing options.
I went a different route and it's working for me.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Biopellets for approximately 6 years now if not more, and found it to be the most convenient and effective way to manage nitrates as well as boosting phosphate consumption.

Unlike other methods, it allows me to manage nitrates very accurately by doing it in the opposite direction - it’ll plummet to zero which I’ll than increase and hold where I want by dosing Sodium Nitrate, which in turn also increases its effectiveness in phosphate reduction.

Another point I like with using Biopellets over the traditional Carbon dosing is the minimal to no PH impact which you often see when dosing Vodka/Viniger.

One thing that needs to be pointed out though is that it really needs to be perfectly dialed in to work properly and prevent the issues others mentioned above, which is mainly controlled by having the right amount of pellets and flow, as well as directing the output of the reactor right into the skimmers intake.

Once dialed in - your skimate will get thick and dark, with almost like oil consistency.

The only cons I see with it is the long break in period and the short amount of time the media can survive without flow, as well as the time required to learn how to perfectly dial it in.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both methods in the past. Biopellets needs reactor and pump and all set-up needs to be diald in to let them thumble slowly. It takes many days or weeks to find what is a proer amount of biopellets in reactor, but once balanced is achieved, you can cruise for long time.
Vodka, vinegar or proprietary carbon solution dosing needs dosing pump, but you can dial it in faster. Making adjustment is also faster.
I would say that liquid carbon dosing is less expensive and easier to dial in, but also easier to overdose. Choice is yours.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back