Bio reactor

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellet master is for biopellets

Bio reactor appears to be for bio media (as in filtration for ammonia and nitrite ie a home for a bacteria)

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellet master is for biopellets

Bio reactor appears to be for bio media (as in filtration for ammonia and nitrite ie a home for a bacteria)
Ah, that makes sense. Knew it was a dumb question. Basically the difference between essentially carbon dosing and populating bacteria to consume the nitrates. Any views on which method is better or preferred?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, that makes sense. Knew it was a dumb question. Basically the difference between essentially carbon dosing and populating bacteria to consume the nitrates. Any views on which method is better or preferred?

Biopellets or carbon dosing is growing bacteria that consume nitrate and some phosphate and the carbon source and then removing them via the skimmer. Biomedia is more like having a bunch of little pieces of rock to become live rock while taking up less room. Reactors for biomedia are simply containing the media and forcing water through/to the media. So they do two different things. Sometimes anaerobic biomedia reactors can decrease nitrate but this is not common to see with people's tanks.

Carbon dosing / biopellets is a good way to decrease nitrate if phosphates are not a big concern (phosphates are used in a lower amount). I like this for tanks that have nitrate issues. Some carbon dose to feed bacteriovores.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back