Algea turf scrubber out of reactor?

chadloomis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all quick question. Has anyone built an algea turf scrubber out of a large reactor? I have one laying around collecting dust I’ve been thinking about using but wanted to get opinions of if it would work in a reactor or not. Only thing I can think of is that there’s no air flow over the screen. Any input if it’s worth the effort? Thanks in advanced!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose you could, but unless the enclosure is opaque then light spillage will be an issue, causing algae to grow where you probably don't want it. If you wanna get an ATS going on budget, check out youtube for DIY upflow ATS. I can otherwise recommend the icecap drop-in-sump ATS, it produces thick mats of algae for me regularly: https://amzn.to/3Jg5kvm

1712877098237.png

OP
OP
C

chadloomis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose you could, but unless the enclosure is opaque then light spillage will be an issue, causing algae to grow where you probably don't want it. If you wanna get an ATS going on budget, check out youtube for DIY upflow ATS. I can otherwise recommend the icecap drop-in-sump ATS, it produces thick mats of algae for me regularly: https://amzn.to/3Jg5kvm

1712877098237.png
I’ve looked at some diy scrubbers I’m just very limited on space. I thought of doing something similar to an chaeto reactor but with the mesh on the inside.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back