Removed phosphate reactor and thoughts

  • Thread starter Thread starter chicago
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
1,775
Reaction score
569
Location
chicago
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up and running for over 20 years plus.. In that time I have had a phosphate reactor on line. Last week I pulled it out to clean it up .. remove algea build up on it ect. Got lazy and have not put back in. Here is my question.. I am running a Algea Scrubber and the Phosphate is holding at .03 - .05. I have a large Skimmer.
However .. over the last week I noticed some of the green montipora's ... going a bit brown and losing the green colors. other sps doing fine. I am thinking of holding out and not putting back in line.. I spend a good amount of $$ on Rowaphos.
At what number do we believe the phosphate level becomes or has a negative impact.
 
Lou Ekus shared his thoughts in a seminar.
This is a screen shot of his slide.
He has since upped his thoughts to minimum of 0.05

20230304_145355.jpg
 
yep.. going to give it a try and see what happens.. tired of changing out the rowaphos. and when I take to long to do it.... always wondered if it was leaching back ?
 
Phosphate removal media has likely done more damage than good over the course of the hobby. Remove it and let your corals use the phosphate. They will appreciate it
 
I went full circle, gfo in reactor, got cheesed off with flicking that on and off to control swinging phos, nailed it down with lanthium then now I have to add food to keep it above 0 which suits the fat fish haha
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new