BioCube 29 Redux!

IdahoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all!

About this time last year, I started my 1st journey at the Coralife Biocube 29. At that time, I had a 10 gallon Nano, that I transferred it's contents into the new cube. 6 months in, I had an ATO "incident" that ended up with 5 gallons of water under and around the tank, the night before I was to go on a 2 week work trip.

I ended up breaking the tank down, finding a home for the critters, cleaning up the mess, then headed to work.

Now I'm ready to start her up again! Using my original rock (cleaned) with a few new peices of Live Rock from my local LFS, along with RODI water to start up with.

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

OP
OP
IdahoNano

IdahoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, she's wet! 22 lbs of original rock, and 3.3 lbs of live rock I purchased. 20 lbs of the black live sand as well. Took 23 gallons of water total.

IMG_2239.JPG

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good so far... Keep updating with more pictures when you add stuff!
I was thinking of going with the black sand, but I didn't know if I wanted to go that route.. LOL I think I should have.. it looks slick!

OP
OP
IdahoNano

IdahoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the black sand...only drawback is that it has iron in it, and the magnet cleaners really attract it when you get down close....so you have to be careful to not get it caught in the mag scraper and scratch the glass....lesson learned!

I added a bottle of bio-spira yesterday as well, to aid in the cycle process.....between that, the 3 lbs of live rock that I added, and some daily ghost feedings, the cycle should happen very nicely. I tested all the basic parameters today to set a base line as well!

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the black sand...only drawback is that it has iron in it, and the magnet cleaners really attract it when you get down close....so you have to be careful to not get it caught in the mag scraper and scratch the glass....lesson learned!

I added a bottle of bio-spira yesterday as well, to aid in the cycle process.....between that, the 3 lbs of live rock that I added, and some daily ghost feedings, the cycle should happen very nicely. I tested all the basic parameters today to set a base line as well!

I had trouble with the magnet and sand pieces. I won't use it again.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about the substrate.
Cut back on your ghost feedings, and just stop running the skimmer if you have one going right now.
Let it get nice and ugly..LOL

OP
OP
IdahoNano

IdahoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about the substrate.
Cut back on your ghost feedings, and just stop running the skimmer if you have one going right now.
Let it get nice and ugly..LOL

I've only ghost fed twice now, and am not running my skimmer, or any chems yet...just a pad to catch large particles.....trying to be patient lol!

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
patient is a good way to be... I never tried to ghost feed... I just toss in some live rock and let nature take its course. LOL
How long ago did you start up this tank?

OP
OP
IdahoNano

IdahoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kord, the tank went wet on Dec 27 (last Sunday). Rjramos....only "updrages" made is the inTank media basket in place of the bioballs, a UV sterilizer and skimmer which are not running at the time. Stock lights and stock pump. I have the Hydor ATO, just looking for a good pump that can push 4' of distance gently.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kord, the tank went wet on Dec 27 (last Sunday). Rjramos....only "updrages" made is the inTank media basket in place of the bioballs, a UV sterilizer and skimmer which are not running at the time. Stock lights and stock pump. I have the Hydor ATO, just looking for a good pump that can push 4' of distance gently.
Congratulations on your new start up! I have a 29 biocube, I won it from reef2reef at reefapalooza, Orlando, Florida! Lol![emoji106] I made media basket and refugium basket for chamber 2 with same dimensions as INtank. I ended up going with AquaticLife 115 skimmer which fits in chamber 1(with back lid open). The pump I upgraded from the coral life to an MJ1200. I found the stock lighting to be too hot and non programmable. I ended up gutting it and upgraded with a rapidLED retro for biocube 29. Got utube instructions on installation and it wasn't too bad, DIY. Storm Controller for the lighting, sunset/sunrise, moonphase! Awesome! I have 3 tanks including a 120 gal, by far this tank is my best, and holds the best parameters! But IMHO, you have to upgrade it. Here is my 29 biocube at 18 months!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451621360.083026.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451621387.371533.jpg

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks![emoji4] Also using purigen, chemipure elite, and got the refugium with a brick of chaeto, full of critters. Here is the back;
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451676865.680368.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451676885.762238.jpg

OP
OP
IdahoNano

IdahoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made myself a basket just for ^ ! I plan on using puregin and Chemi blue as well....was also told that Matrix is a good chem to add in a bag and use in place of puregin....so many options lol.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the blue also. The fuge is awesome, this tank has zero nitrates, and no phosphates. The chaeto is getting trimmed frequently. I recently lost my 4 home grown neon gobies to ich, they would have been 2 this month.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 69 46.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back