Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh for sure. That was my my first thought too. 20 years ago, there wasn't so much info at our fingertips. I went into stores, I bought stuff, no one asked me any questions and just assumed I knew what I was doing.......we all know how that ends :disappointed-face: .
Yep! I remember early on when Finding Nemo had just come out, my local Petco's fish person was telling me it was a nightmare with people buying clowns and then putting them in fish bowls with fresh tap water and then demanding refunds when their fish died within minutes/hours. So "Do you have a saltwater tank?" is the first question I remember from my LFS/Petco prior to a purchase. Prior to that, it was just trial by fire for the most part.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I cant seem to get No3 up. and I havent wanted to use reef roids to feed for fears it will spike the P04. I have mysis and brine. I also feed Ms Kp, Murder hermit, and nassarius snails LRS reef freenzy a couple times a week, so the corals probably get little bits of that here and there.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 cheapos. Been dropped a thousand times. Somehow still not busted.
Yeah we took a gamble with going with the cheap one and unfortunately it was a waste. Even the one that came with my tank which I think the calibration spring is shot, didnt rust and corrode like the second one I bought.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah we took a gamble with going with the cheap one and unfortunately it was a waste. Even the one that came with my tank which I think the calibration spring is shot, did rust and corrode like the second one I bought.
I am hoping things go in your favor from here on out. Faulty equipment is enough to cause anyone to blow a fuse.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The guy I got the frag tank from had a Milwaukee electric refractometer. He made me a really good offer so I had to get it. Prior to that, I never anticipated I'd buy one - thought it was frivolous.
Its just really nice being able to verify my other refractometer was ok... all my salinity issues were user error.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy I got the frag tank from had a Milwaukee electric refractometer. He made me a really good offer so I had to get it. Prior to that, I never anticipated I'd buy one - thought it was frivolous.
Its just really nice being able to verify my other refractometer was ok... all my salinity issues were user error.
My LRS guys says they are pretty much garage. I’m not saying I agree with him. I fall in line with stability is the most important . As long as you are using the same device and it is semi reliable then things so be ok… right????

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My LRS guys says they are pretty much garage. I’m not saying I agree with him. I fall in line with stability is the most important . As long as you are using the same device and it is semi reliable then things so be ok… right????
The hardest thing about stability. When you add new coral, you have to figure out your dosing all over again.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E3ED4DCE-B015-4E12-BA7B-8598148B5DA5.jpeg

Fun then and now. The first picture was when we first got our tank. They grow up so fast. :face-savoring-food: :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Lick lick lick...

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
yeah actually was switching between my 1.014 and 1.025 water when messing with my phyto and brine and it was not the fastest to catch up.- ended up using the manual refractometer.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think BRS sells replacement refractometer plates. - you may need to get the one with the LED light.
This just gave me an idea. I still have all three. The plate is still good on the original. I may try to swap it out with the corroded one and keep the second one just in case. I really like the new one.

There is however, one big thing I don't like about it. The measurements are tiny! It's like they took the measurement chart and zoomed it way out. There is wasted space all around it. And for someone of the age whose eye sight is probably about to start going, it makes it really hard to see. It seems odd to me that they made it that way.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back