BioCube InTank Refugium and Copepods

ams0509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I’m setting up a refugium for my BioCube 32 using the InTank fuge. I have bought a light and the fuge, and will buy some rubble rock and chaeto once I’m ready to get started.

I also am thinking about Copepods and phytoplankton. How does that work? If I stock the fuge with copepods and feed them phytoplankton, will the colony be self sustained?

I currently have two clowns and a fire shrimp so I don’t think anything is going to go crazy eating the copepods I’m more just looking to have them for the benefits to the tank.

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I’m setting up a refugium for my BioCube 32 using the InTank fuge. I have bought a light and the fuge, and will buy some rubble rock and chaeto once I’m ready to get started.

I also am thinking about Copepods and phytoplankton. How does that work? If I stock the fuge with copepods and feed them phytoplankton, will the colony be self sustained?

I currently have two clowns and a fire shrimp so I don’t think anything is going to go crazy eating the copepods I’m more just looking to have them for the benefits to the tank.
As long as you have plankton to feed them until you start to get algae in the tank they should populate. It can take a while before you can see them on your glass at night. I recommend getting Tisbe pods, they'll populate on the rocks rather than in the water column.

OP
OP
A

ams0509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m already getting an initial diatom bloom in the tank. I think I should still dose the phytoplankton for the health benefits to the coral and everything but then hopefully it can get established.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods are self regulated so the colony size will regulate on available food source. Rock work and substrate is their preferred habitat

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back