Copepods in tank or fuge or both

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie question. I'm starting to research copepods for my new future reef. I understand the benefits of them but not positive if they go in the tank or the fuge or does it not matter? Will they end up everywhere anyway? I'm looking at Algae Research Supply as a supplier but would welcome any suggestions.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie question. I'm starting to research copepods for my new future reef. I understand the benefits of them but not positive if they go in the tank or the fuge or does it not matter? Will they end up everywhere anyway? I'm looking at Algae Research Supply as a supplier but would welcome any suggestions.
Yeah, they'll just end up being everywhere eventually, it dosent really matter though adding a few jars to the display and a few to the sump would be good. Algaebarn galaxypods worked well for me

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll end up everywhere eventually. I'm a big believer in pods, so I add them regularly to the fuge and display (mostly to the display).

I've been super happy with @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens multiple times over the past year. I used their pods to initially seed my latest system and everything was fantastic.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll end up everywhere eventually - but they will get stuck in filter socks. I dump jars into both locations...

Algaebarn or Dinkins both do pods well. I find the Ecopods 4 pack from algaebarn is usually the best value...

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you start with some good ocean live rock, even just a little 10lb package, you'll get loads. They'll pretty much get into everywhere, yeah.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm checking out the sites and they're showing options of deliveries every so often. Is this needed? Do they not reproduce quickly enough?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm checking out the sites and they're showing options of deliveries every so often. Is this needed? Do they not reproduce quickly enough?
Not needed IMO.

Established tanks will have an established copepod population. The pods will reproduce by themselves.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Deliveries are for if you have more pod-eating fish than your tank can support. Shouldn't be needed for the average tank, if you pick one of the crawling species that reproduces in aquaria.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great. So in the future if I do have pod eaters I guess I’ll be able to tell when I need more just by sight? Are they visible in the tank to be able to tell? Thanks.

RWReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piggybacking on this thread (thanks for starting @mikebusc ) if the pods get caught up in filter socks, is the prevailing thought it won’t matter as they’ve already established populations in the DT/sump that they can just replenish themselves?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back