Help identifying copepod and predator to control

goppman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I have added copepods from algae barn into my 10g and one in particular has taken off in reproduction.

I know mandarins will eat copepods but have been told a mandarin will eventually starve to death in a tank this size.

Does any body have any tips or suggestions of. Predator to help control the white circular dot copepod in my tank. They are everywhere and it looks like a Dusting of snowflakes.

I love copepods but just want to keep everything in balance.

IMG_0182.jpeg IMG_0183.jpeg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant see them in the pics maybe a clearer macro shot may help. If they are copepods then I wouldnt worry about them. If they had a population explosion its from a food source that they enjoy. That food source could be something you are feeding, diatoms, some algae or film, if its nothing you are adding the population will level out on its own as the food source dwindles. If its something you are adding it means you are adding to much back off a bit.

I would not recommend anything like a dragonet in a 10g even if its a biota captive bred one. They are very active fish. The captive bred ones eat dry foods and frozen foods but they still need constant feedings, very small portions multiple times a day. They have very high metabolisms and very short digestive tracts. Which is why a larger tank with lots of pods is still recommended for captive bred specimens.

The pod population should control itself eventually. I have never seen a bad "side effect" of too many pods.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with twentyleagues but hopefully the fish will be ok

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Tank?
WIthout more food they will balance themselves out.
Just like your tank, it will find its happy place.
I dont see any fish in your tank. All fish will eat them.
They are good for your tank . They will eat green film and other algaes. They can help you keep your tank clean.

OP
OP
G

goppman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, thank you everyone. I didn’t realize all fish will eat them. I agree on the dragonet do want to put that in.

Good to know they will level out on their own!

Going to be adding the tanks first fish a neon goby next week. Tank is 2 months old.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
You can get a court jester goby. They stay small and will eat copepods. Cool looking fish that swims equally as cool. Kinda like a slow moving hummingbird. He can swim in reverse, too.

Min 10g tank size

OP
OP
G

goppman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a court jester goby. They stay small and will eat copepods. Cool looking fish that swims equally as cool. Kinda like a slow moving hummingbird. He can swim in reverse, too.

Min 10g tank size
Nice! Never heard of that goby.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a kool gobie. Forget the dragonette. Unless you have experience, they are not recomended.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, thank you everyone. I didn’t realize all fish will eat them. I agree on the dragonet do want to put that in.

Good to know they will level out on their own!

Going to be adding the tanks first fish a neon goby next week. Tank is 2 months old.
your neon goby should eat them too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back