Biocube question

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive decided on getting a 29g biocube. However there is the oceanic and the coralife versions. Which one is the better purchase for reefing?

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thats all i get ??? Thnx for the input guys n gals but nobody has more to say?

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess im asking because of the hdi difference vs pc/led. Also because the HDI comes stock with a protien skimmer and refugium. I like the lighting options with led but if i go that route would i need to purchase a protien skimmer and mod the coralife system?? Does the oceanic protien skimmer fit in the coralife overflow or would i have to pick up a completly aftermarket skimmer?? So many questions lol

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the oceanic also and love it to death had to do some moding for it to be able to support sps though. but over all nice system.. and good luck and keep us posted on progress.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquapod. I know you're not asking about them but make sure you go with the HQI at least.

SWAGuru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Oceanic and the Coralife are the same system. The Coralife is the new model, they no longer make the Oceanic. I found that out after I bought one. Still very happy with it, even though I'm fairly new to this wonderful obsession :) The HQI would be the choice for lighting, especially since the standard lights on my Oceanic cause a heating/cooling issue. The Protein Skimmer they make is not the best, so don't pin your decision on that as you will likely replace it anyway. Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the dimensions on the Hydor Nano slim skim. 3 1/8 x 3 1/8. I run one on my 26g. Great lil skimmer once tweaked in. Pic is 2 days worth of nog.
ve2uhu2y.jpg

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thats good stuff thanku. Now lighting question :). After the stock led set up what added led strips should be purcased to keep a bunch of palys/zoas an anenomie and a couple clowns happy?? Also maybe some sps??

peter505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep sps and anemones, I would just get the biocube hqi, an InTank filter set up, and an aquaticlife 115 (or similar) skimmer. I did this and I can keep any sps or anemone.

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But do u get moonlight and other color popping highlights with the metal halide?

peter505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
color looks great with the halides. my orange cap and my purple valida pop under it. The hqi doesnt come with moonlights, but you could easily buy and mount a strip onto the mh light. The light has a flat part on the front and back of the fixture that are perfect for mounting.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 68 49.3%
  • Full frame

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 50 36.2%
  • All of the above

Votes: 23 16.7%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back