Biological filter after copper treatment

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 30 days of copper treatment will be wrapping up soon. Once I remove the copper treated water and replace with new can I use a seeded sponge from my fallow DT to aid in filtering? Will using the sponge possibly introduce the disease back into the QT? My DT will be close to 6 weeks running fallow.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 30 days of copper treatment will be wrapping up soon. Once I remove the copper treated water and replace with new can I use a seeded sponge from my fallow DT to aid in filtering? Will using the sponge possibly introduce the disease back into the QT? My DT will be close to 6 weeks running fallow.
You definitely don't want to add anything from your DT. You could introduce free swimmers and reinfect the fish.

If you have an established biofilter in the copper tank it will remain established even in the absence of copper.

OP
OP
nkyreef

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely don't want to add anything from your DT. You could introduce free swimmers and reinfect the fish.

If you have an established biofilter in the copper tank it will remain established even in the absence of copper.
I'm using an air filter with a sponge and some poly filter and it's controlling the ammonia really well. I'll keep using it after removing the copper. Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back