Biological Filtration is AMAZING!

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biological filtration is the best IMO. My fiance has a 46 gallon bowfront. It is a FOWLR. The fish include: 2 true percs, hawkfish, flame cardinal, bi color angel, and spiny box puffer. There are also 5 different starfish and 24 urchins. The tank is fed daily and the puffee is fed daily. The filtration on the tank is live rock in the display and a 10 gallon sump with live rock only. No skimmer, no carbon, nothing but live rock and live sand. Now the puffer has been in the tank for a little over a month now. We have been working on getting the internal parasites out of him by trying to feed him as much as possible. Now he tends to not each all the krill we give him. Alot ends up in the sump. Well I have not done a water change on her tank in over two months because I have been working a lot. So I was curious last night and I tested the nitrates of the tank. I was waiting to see the nitrates in the 100s because of all the food and no water change. Well her nitrates where at about 50-60. Which yes that is high but for a fish only it will be ok. But yes I need to do a big water change. I was trying to figure out why the nitrates would be so low with such neglect toward the tank. Now this tank has been up and running for a year and half now. So I look in the sump and all the live rock is just completely covered in sponges. White sponges and black sponges. The black sponge on one rock has grow so much it is now growing on the glass in the sump. I am just completely amazed on how nature will take care of it self and had to share. Will post pics of the sump in a little.

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her sump. You can see the sponges growing up the glass
2011-07-29_13-39-09_863.jpg

2011-07-29_13-39-43_586.jpg

And the tank. No I can not kill the aphasia. It is her only "coral"
2011-07-08_18-38-47_709.jpg

That is a condy nem on the right not aphasia
2011-07-08_18-38-35_91.jpg

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nitrate levels are going up, meaning they are not being consumed/processed, they will continue to rise higher and higher if nothing is done.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do a few water changes and you can keep the algae away! :D

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more concerned to see if you have ammonia. But agreed bio filtration is completely necessary and is better than mechanical. If you can set up some macro with a led bulb and that will also be a cheap effective way to combat PO4 and NO3.

Easy way to put macro in an open sump is in a cotton or nylon laundry bag that has those little jersey style open holes if you will, to breath.

I bought my laundry bag approximately 24"x36" at the 99 cent store. I also bought a plastic 99 cent store basket that will fit the macro desired.

I have my macro on top of my LR in the sump in about 3.5" of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twats wild but so true the longer the systems been runnin the better the biofiltration gets thanks for shareing

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you misunderstand my post. Yeah the nitrates are high but I am truly amazed they are not off the chart. I did a 1036" gallon water change yesterday and this morning the nitrates where down to 20. If I kept up with the water changes this tank would have great levels. I love this tank cause it is so easy. It even gets topped of with tap water. As for algae the glass gets dirty every three days. No green hair, red slime, diatoms, ect. Actually have never seen them in the tank but the CUC is huge.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back