Biological use of these elements?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am getting some more chaetogro because the red sea iron+ (trace color c) seems to not be enough to fufill my chaetos demand and I don't want to risk overdosing it because it contains some strange elements. i don't want to test for iron and other relevant trace elements used in chaeto and the chaetogro twice a week seemed to work well for me One of those is aluminum and I am very confused as to why any trace element would contain aluminum. Does anyone know any biological function in which aluminum would need to be added?

My second question is why would chaetogro contain chlorine? Their description for why makes no sense.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked their site. They did not list aluminum as a micronutrient in chaeto gro. They gave the salts in the mix and many of the micronutrients were chloride salts. You get the chloride as a by product. Since chloride is a huge component of sea water, it is probably the most innocuous anion that can be added.

I run chaeto and I find that adding iron is a big help. But adding chaeto gro is probably better.

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto nutrition can definitely help; any chance you are extremely low in nitrate/phosphates in the tank as well? How good is your light? Distance from light source can play a role, and flow.

Your question however is based on aluminum having a role in growth, and the fresh-water study I've found that aluminum can STUNT algae growth. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0269749190901729 (is the link). Promise it's not weird site. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0075951109000863 also confirms that some Al concentrations lower growth, not improve algae growth.

Hope in some way this was helpful.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am getting some more chaetogro because the red sea iron+ (trace color c) seems to not be enough to fufill my chaetos demand and I don't want to risk overdosing it because it contains some strange elements. i don't want to test for iron and other relevant trace elements used in chaeto and the chaetogro twice a week seemed to work well for me One of those is aluminum and I am very confused as to why any trace element would contain aluminum. Does anyone know any biological function in which aluminum would need to be added?

My second question is why would chaetogro contain chlorine? Their description for why makes no sense.

There is no functional (useful) biological role for aluminum. I also do not see it in the description:

It contains no chlorine as Cl2. It contains chloride, which is likely the counter ion to the metals in it. You cannot have all positive charges in solution. You must have an equal number of negative charges, and seawater already contains 19,000 ppm (19,000,000 ppb) of chloride, so it is no concern.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no functional (useful) biological role for aluminum. I also do not see it in the description:

It contains no chlorine as Cl2. It contains chloride, which is likely the counter ion to the metals in it. You cannot have all positive charges in solution. You must have an equal number of negative charges, and seawater already contains 19,000 ppm (19,000,000 ppb) of chloride, so it is no concern.

I was referring to red sea trace color c (iron plus) for the aluminum. (my bad) So the Chlorine 0.39% is actually chloride?

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: The aluminum is in the red sea iron+ (trace color C) NOT the chaetogro. Sorry I just realized that I typed it out that way. I was concerned over the chlorine 0.39% in the chaetogro and the aluminum in red sea iron+ trace color C

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to red sea trace color c (iron plus) for the aluminum. (my bad) So the Chlorine 0.39% is actually chloride?

Chlorine as Cl2 is a gas, and no reef product will contain it. :)

But technically it is not incorrect to also call chloride chlorine if you are referring to elements, as might be measured by ICP.

There's no benefit to the aluminum, but there also may not be much of it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back