Biological warfare to combat overzealous encrusting monti

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to keep this orange encrusting monti in check and figure the best way is to do so is with other corals. The new coral(s) has to appreciate high light and high flow and either sting or shade the encroaching monti. I'm mostly wanting to start at the right side of the rock or front (above the gorgonian in the first pic). The white/stringy edges in the pics are where I removed the overhangs today and also the areas I would like to contain. Also, this is a pretty big area. Though hard to tell in the pics, the rock with the encrusting monti is probably closer to the size of two basketballs than to the size of just one. Lighting is a 60" ATI Powermodule 6-bulb ((4) 75w LED clusters and (6) T5s), and the top of the rock is probably 6"-8" below the water's surface. Just out of range in the pics on the right side is a Maxpect Gyre blowing right across the top. Any recommendations?

IMG_0084.jpg IMG_0085.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to keep this orange encrusting monti in check and figure the best way is to do so is with other corals. The new coral(s) has to appreciate high light and high flow and either sting or shade the encroaching monti. I'm mostly wanting to start at the right side of the rock or front (above the gorgonian in the first pic). The white/stringy edges in the pics are where I removed the overhangs today and also the areas I would like to contain. Also, this is a pretty big area. Though hard to tell in the pics, the rock with the encrusting monti is probably closer to the size of two basketballs than to the size of just one. Lighting is a 60" ATI Powermodule 6-bulb ((4) 75w LED clusters and (6) T5s), and the top of the rock is probably 6"-8" below the water's surface. Just out of range in the pics on the right side is a Maxpect Gyre blowing right across the top. Any recommendations?

IMG_0084.jpg IMG_0085.jpg
Chalice if you want encrusting. The chalice will fend it off pretty strong. For something less feisty, a lepto or laptastrea will suffice.

OP
OP
Crashjack

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalice if you want encrusting. The chalice will fend it off pretty strong. For something less feisty, a lepto or laptastrea will suffice.

i have some Hollywood Stunner, and that would likely work, but it would also do the same thing... encrust the rock and extend out past the rock though it would be a lot easier to break off.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have some Hollywood Stunner, and that would likely work, but it would also do the same thing... encrust the rock and extend out past the rock though it would be a lot easier to break off.
What about a torch that would cover the edge? Place it somewhere below the ledge.

OP
OP
Crashjack

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a torch that would cover the edge? Place it somewhere below the ledge.

Torch, hammer, or frogspawn was my first thought. I have two pretty large hammers on the left side of the tank but in lower light and flow. Torches grow fairly slow but would definitely sting the monti. Frogspawn might grow faster and would also sting. I just wasn’t sure about the high light/flow, especially since torches and frogspawn are often $$$.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch, hammer, or frogspawn was my first thought. I have two pretty large hammers on the left side of the tank but in lower light and flow. Torches grow fairly slow but would definitely sting the monti. Frogspawn might grow faster and would also sting. I just wasn’t sure about the high light/flow, especially since torches and frogspawn are often $$$.
Torches would do much better with the higher flow (might even prefer it) compared to the frogspawn. Torches also sting harder. While torches grow slightly slower than frogspawn, they still grow pretty dang fast.

If you really want to get that thing back, consider adding some galaxia, bubble coral, or maybe a pectinia.

You're a mad lad btw.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Most euphyllia would work. Torches especially since their tentacles are longer.

Would polyp bailout be something to worry about with the coral starting to appear all over the tank?

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a euphyllia or galaxea also. If you put another encruster you’ll end up with the same problem in a different flavor. I was told green leptos were medium to low light, they were wrong...
3B74296D-7C2D-4F42-83C7-CE13F903097B.jpeg

It definitely keeps montipora away. And sends out sweepers, and aggressively grows on other corals, so, try to avoid encrusters for competition.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back