Encrusting Monti Relocation

Chrisjordan004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

I picked up a beautiful Montipora coral from a local hobbyist last week and its encrusted on a 4x4 ceramic tile. I have a Waterbox 20 cube tank, so real estate is hard to come by in my setup, but the piece was too good to pass up on for the price. I had it on the sandbed initially, but would love to remove it from the tile and glue it directly onto the rockwork if at all possible. Has anyone had any success cleanly scraping a Monti off of a tile to relocate? If so, how'd you do it? Hesitant to take a razorblade to the coral if it's going to wind up damaging and/or breaking it up. Could also leave it on the tile and let it grow out over the top, but the tile itself is a bit of an eyesore sitting on the rockwork and I'd prefer to keep the sandbed clear for the time being.

61024.jpeg

20231228_081847.jpg

20231231_064754.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

I picked up a beautiful Montipora coral from a local hobbyist last week and its encrusted on a 4x4 ceramic tile. I have a Waterbox 20 cube tank, so real estate is hard to come by in my setup, but the piece was too good to pass up on for the price. I had it on the sandbed initially, but would love to remove it from the tile and glue it directly onto the rockwork if at all possible. Has anyone had any success cleanly scraping a Monti off of a tile to relocate? If so, how'd you do it? Hesitant to take a razorblade to the coral if it's going to wind up damaging and/or breaking it up. Could also leave it on the tile and let it grow out over the top, but the tile itself is a bit of an eyesore sitting on the rockwork and I'd prefer to keep the sandbed clear for the time being.

61024.jpeg

20231228_081847.jpg

20231231_064754.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Chris
I don't know if anyone has had success as it's extremely thin, maybe break it up into smaller pieces and place those around your tank?

@encrustingacro?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back