Check Out My Waterbox 20 Build!!!

Chrisjordan004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up Reefers!

Just moved into my new house and it didn't take long for me to start my 3rd Reef tank build. Super excited about this one and I've got some lofty plans for it. Hoping to fill the aquascape with some gorgeous corals and collect some rare fish along the way. I'm in the 3rd week of the cycle and things are going great. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a Yasha Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair, Pictus Blenny, a few Designer Clowns and a Griessingei Goby or 2. I've also always wanted to own a pair of Harlequin Shrimp but I'm on the fence about them because of their voracious appetite for starfish. Will definitely upload pics of the livestock as the tank evolves, but here's a quick rundown of the equipment:

- 20 Gallon Waterbox Cube
- AI Hydra 26 HD LED
- Icecap K1 Nano Protein Skimmer
- InTank Media Baskets running Filter Floss, Chemipure Blue and Matrix Carbon
- Jebao Wavemaker and Tunze Nanostream 6040 for the flow
- Innovative Marine Hydrofill TI ATO
- Flipper Glass Cleaner (Love It!)
- CaribSea LifeRock
- CaribSea Fiji Pink Live Reef Sand

Still looking to add a digital thermometer, some cooling fans and an Innovative Marine MiniMax Pro Media Reactor, but that should complete the build. Below are a few shots of what I've put together thus far, including the inside of the cabinet stand which I'm loving because I've routed the controls for both wavemakers and ATO to the door for easy access. Hope you enjoy!

20200818_102056.jpg

20200811_093219.jpg

20200817_213923.jpg

20200818_102128.jpg

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I run a waterbox cube 20 also. I look forward to seeing what you do with this build.

OP
OP
Chrisjordan004

Chrisjordan004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Tank Update***

I went a little overboard at the Unique Corals Back to School Sale and scooped up a handful of awesome frags that I'm looking forward to watching fill the tank. I've also added a pair of clown fish and adjusted the positioning of my wave-makers to satisfy all the new livestock. Here's what I grabbed at the sale:

- Indo Gold Branching Hammer
- Hawaiian Paly
- Candy Apple Montipora
- Platygyra
- Mean Green Alveopora
- Screamin' Birdsnest
- Favia
- Acan Echinata
- GSP
- Premium Green Acropora
- Staghorn Acro
- Merulina
- Blue tip Frogspawn

20200830_094651.jpg

20200830_094701.jpg

Until Next Time,

Chris

OP
OP
Chrisjordan004

Chrisjordan004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tom,

I went to InTank Aquatics and picked up the chamber 1 and 2 Baskets intended for this tank. Not a fan of the filter socks that come stock with the setup. Here's a pic of the basket in Chamber 1 that holds my filter floss, matrix carbon and chemipure. Thanks for checking it out!

Capture.JPG

OP
OP
Chrisjordan004

Chrisjordan004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick tank update:

I've decided that I'm going to try to make this a torch dominant scape, with hopes to add some higher end torches gradually over the next year or so. I've got my heart set on an Aussie Gold, Indo Dragon Soul and a NY Knicks among others but my wallet isn't ready for those investments just yet LOL.

I did, however come across an awesome deal at Seattle Corals for a 4 piece torch pack that included a Purple Torch, Faded Torch, Toxic Torch and Green Tip Ultra for $200, all of which look like they've got at least 2 heads! Also traded a few pieces of Acro to an LFS for single head of Blacklight torch. I've been feeding all the livestock Reef Roids twice/week and conducting routine water changes while dosing for Calcium and everything seems to be happy. Here are a few tank shots along with a few of my favorite non-torch pieces, a Mean Green Alveopora and a Rainbow Master Acan.

20200911_122737.jpg

20200911_122356.jpg

20200911_122444.jpg

Screenshot_20200910-143341_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Chris

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I run a WB 10 gallon cube with the K1 nano skimmer. I removed the holding bracket and built a small eggcrate platform so the skimmer sits much lower than yours. I can only see half of the collection cup. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you haven't thought of it. Nice build by the way!

OP
OP
Chrisjordan004

Chrisjordan004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update on the Waterbox 20! my Torch collection is now at 7 pieces and I absolutely LOVE the art of a trade. I recently found someone to trade my Indo Gold Branching Hammer with in exchange for a splitting NY Knicks torch, and scored a killer deal on 3 heads of Dragon Soul. The 4 pack of torches I picked up from Seattle Corals a month or so ago is thriving, and each of them are also starting to split. With the sweltering California heat I'm finding that I have to frequently run the above-tank fan throughout the day to keep the temp. as close to 78 as I can, though I know a few hours at a marginally higher temp. wouldn't do too much harm. My cleanup crew has done a great job keeping the algae growth at bay, but I've noticed some troublesome aptasia on the underside of a few of the rocks. I've gone to 4 local fish stores on the hunt for a Peppermint shrimp but it turns out they're quite the hot commodity right now. Nobody has them in stock! Going to keep searching and may have to reach out to a local reefer through Reef2Reef but in the meantime here's a full tank shot and a few up close shots of some of my favorite torches.

20201001_101105.jpg

20201001_101435.jpg

20201001_101246.jpg

Until next time,

Chris

OP
OP
Chrisjordan004

Chrisjordan004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

Just thought I'd provide another update on the Waterbox 20. I've added a few pieces of eye-popping coral including my all-time favorite, the 24k Gold Aussie torch. Picked it up at the Cali Kid Livesale along with a sweet new Rainbow Acan. My torch collection is now at 9 and everything seems to be doing pretty well. I was able to find a pair of peppermint shrimp to knock out the aptasia but once they finished cleaning things up they started to harass my corals, so I set up a bottle trap and successfully captured them both within a day! Back to the LFS they went LOL.

Coral-wise I'll probably take a break until Christmas to allow everything I've purchased to grow out a bit, but I've now got my heart set on a small colony of Holy Grail Micromussa after I missed out on one during the Livesale. Here are a few pics of some of my favorite new pieces and a few full-tank shots.

24k Torch.jpg

Candycane.jpg

Rastas.jpg

Rainbow Acan.jpg

FTS Blues.jpg

Side Shot.jpg

Until next time,

Chris

OP
OP
Chrisjordan004

Chrisjordan004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Holidays Reefers!

Just wanted to throw a few update pics up on my Waterbox 20 build. Just got one of my all-time favorite corals from the TCK livesale, a Holy Grail Micromussa. The shipment also came with a pair of Orange lens glasses which make the coloration of my corals really POP! Highly recommended to view the true beauty of your tanks. Here's a full-tank shot along with some close-ups of some of my favorite pieces. That 24k Gold Torch is truly jaw-dropping and I'm so happy with the progress of the reef.

FTS Up Close.jpg

FTS.jpg

Torch.jpg

HG Micro.jpg

Big 4.jpg

Until next time,

Chris

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back