Biopellets On A Timer

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 3 months of usage, I have been having problems keeping any sort of nitrate and phosphate in the tank. I tried extra feeding and such, so I was wondering if anyone ever put a biopellet reactor on a timer. I was thinking about cutting it in half (a half an hour on and then a half an hour off) just to see what it does. Anyone ever do this? I know I could just remove some pellets, but I was wondering what all my options would be. I might add neophos and neonitrate, but that would be yet another expense and more complexity. I probably will just go that route eventually, but was wondering how everyone else manages theirs.

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know sitting tank water can go anoxic, but how long would be too long to turn the reactor off?

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with this^^^ bio pellets have that mulm factor. I think you would see more of that but just guessing here.
Yeah, it would probably be best to have some kind of recirculating reactor, and then fine tune it sort of like a calcium reactor. I dod just halve my biopellets in the reactor to try to get some kind of good stability. I will probably have to fine tune with neophos/neonitro. We just need an automatic phosphate and nitrate tester like we have for alk, cal and mg, lol.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back