Biopellets vs. Algae Reactor for My Tank

nivekid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I'd like some input. I've been in the hobby for over 10 years. I've always had smaller tanks that I just managed through water changes. I now have a 70 gallon tank that has been set up for about 5 months. I'm having issues controlling nitrates which stay around 20-30 even with weekly 20% water changes. Phosphates are also a bit high. I'm not sure if the rock I used is leaching nitrate and phosphate or what, but I need a way to manage it. Corals have poor color and I've got a bit of an algae problem, mostly turf algae and diatoms. The tank will mostly be LPS, softies, gorgonians, etc. I would like to stock it well with fish and feed fairly heavily (including the corals), but right now it only has two occellaris clownfish, a longnose hawkfish, and an orchid dottyback. Also right now, I don't feed heavily.

To control the nitrates and phosphates I am thinking of either a biopellet reactor or an algae reactor. Based on my issues and future plans for the tank what would you recommend? I have a good skimmer which is my only filtration other than a bag of GAC in the sump.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never personally used biopellets but it seems many people are going away from it for one reason or another .

Chaeto reactors can be finicky in some systems but might be a good option.

Have you considered an algae turf scrubber? They will great for this application and take up much less space than a reactor.

There is also many Diy videos and plenty of manufactured options.

Simply__J

@MoriReef45
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran bio-pellets on my 45gal for about 3 months and It was the best I had ever seen my tank. I was finally able to consistently manage nitrates, phosphates and saw a huge reduction in nuisance algae growth in the display. Corals were thriving (color wise) and I finally saw coral growth and spread. Water clarity was an added bonus.

Hurricane Irma hit and the short period of time without power forced me to take the bio-pellet reactor offline. I was mindful enough to shut off the valve before I evacuated so I wouldn't foul the water with stagnant bio-pellet juice. Long story short my system survived with minor loss. I plan to reintroducing the bio-pellet reactor back to the system soon, but I also find myself curious to know which is a better option or if I can run both.

Can anyone speak on running a bio-pellet reactor and an algae reactor simultaneously? Is it redundant? Would they counteract each other in anyway? Along with @nivekid 's questions.

Thanks.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may get most answers if you post this on the chemistry forum

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running biopellets for 3 months.

For me they help keep my nutrients in check, no nuisance algae but not zero that corals dont grow.

I did have brief cyano outbreak that went away with feeding more. Heard they work better in heavy stocking, simulated the bioload with more food.

I still run a gac reactor concurrently.

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to run a cheato reactor with no luck, cheato kept dying and added nutrients to my tank. I sold that and went to biopellets. I have a heavily stocked reefer 250. Start with a half the amount recommended for your tank. The recommendations dose is 1 cup per 50 gallons. Start with half the dose and let it sit for a month then slowly add 1/4 cup every 2 weeks. I found out not to run the recommended dose. My tank should have 1 cup of pellets, but I run 3/4 cup and my nitrates are between 1 to 3 pmm. You have to run them directly into your skimmer input. They dont help too much with phosphate. You need phosphate in your system for them to work. I run a little gfo. Always start small and take your time with them, or you could get cyano or crash your tank. You want to have the pellets to tumble slowly to work. Here are pics of my setup.

20180608_135831.jpg

20180608_135841.jpg

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank No3 at 25pp reduce to 5pp after using bio pellets (20 fishes)
For mine 75g 200ml but started 100ml for the first 3 weeks and sps are started to coloring up
Was brown out before the bio pellets

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read there is a common reoccurring theme here.
It's difficult to control your nutrients with bio pellets take a long time of testing adjusting to get right. Very common side effects are cyano and slime coverings of sump ect.
We have the same side effects with carbon dosing, however there is more control you can start off really small & adjust the dose as required. If you see cyano just back off.
Another major part plays the type of carbon source ur are dosing. I cant really say which is best because even the manufacturers by the looks of it haven't fully cracked it. (what I can say is Luis lou from Tropic marine has a good YouTube video on it & will explain more.
Furthermore redsea have no3po4x which is ethanol mixed with vinegar I believe 70/30 ratio.

Personally me tried carbon dosing yes it does work, but cyano is a real pain. I tried going slow, but ultimately I am a sucker for patience.
All that said I tried cheato works OK, but can be finicky if you dosing bacteria it will kill it off plus controling it is a pain.
Lastly I purchased a aglage turf scrubber, Best thing in the world. Its a real long term viable solution.

Hope this helps

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back