Biota Weeping Willow

Relled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

Making this thread to document the growth of the Biota Weeping Willow strain.

Thought there might be some interest as this has been a fairly hot coral lately. Of course, there is the legendary reef builders article and some YouTuber hobbyists who are pretty into softie collecting.

Interestingly the description of biota matched the reef builders article pretty much spot on mentioning hanging polyps when the flow is cut. That being said it seems like they just removed that from the description on the store page
Was on the email wait list for a frag of this so I bought it super quick, $140 including shipping (Yikes)

This has to be one of the smallest leather coral frags I've ever seen. Definitely not fully extended yet but it's TINY. Size of a few Zoa polyps. Somewhat bummed out about that tbh.
This is going to be the third toadstool I have. One is a medium-sized green tip with fairly long polyps which is growing quite fast. Another is a very large green body toadstool with short polyps (Likley wild-collected).

Pic of the frag is below..... will move it to a frag rack where fewer snails and stuff will tick it off haha, update again when it is hopefully more open.

20230606_143123.jpg

fluffynemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought one as well and it was the same size. Fear not, these leathers grow fairly fast and the key is to place it in stable alternating/random flow with decent light.

I have the “weeping willows” from TCN, Aqua Corals, Whitlyn Aquatics and several green long polyps.

Will post some pics so we can do comparisons. I removed the original stony base as you never know what hitchhikers are there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Relled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one as well and it was the same size. Fear not, these leathers grow fairly fast and the key is to place it in stable alternating/random flow with decent light.

I have the “weeping willows” from TCN, Aqua Corals, Whitlyn Aquatics and several green long polyps.

Will post some pics so we can do comparisons. I removed the original stony base as you never know what hitchhikers are there.
Looking forward to seeing how yours grows!

fluffynemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s mine! The only big difference that I can see is that the tips are smaller and slightly more cream colored than my other weeping willows .

Here’s a quick video too. I have a few frags of an OG Weeping Willow if anyone is interested (ones behind the Biota WW).

IMG_4951.jpeg
IMG_4952.jpeg

Last edited:

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank y'all for all the support! We love these toadstools, they are a bit different than the Reefbuilders' Weeping Willows. Probably my second favorite Toadstool behind those Japanese Deepwater ones.

kurisoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s mine! The only big difference that I can see is that the tips are smaller and slightly more cream colored than my other weeping willows .

Here’s a quick video too. I have a few frags of an OG Weeping Willow if anyone is interested (ones behind the Biota WW).

IMG_4951.jpeg
IMG_4952.jpeg

Have more photos of that OG weeping willow? Are you selling them?

OP
OP
R

Relled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Growth update on this strain/frag from Biota. Probably about 3x in size. Seems to be growing slightly faster than some of my other toadstools (they are getting abused by maroon clowns though :( lol ). When I was running the tank lower nutrient I think this piece struggled at the start. Definitely seems to enjoy "dirty" water. Hopefully, I can maintain growth at the current rate...

rapurcell85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Growth update on this strain/frag from Biota. Probably about 3x in size. Seems to be growing slightly faster than some of my other toadstools (they are getting abused by maroon clowns though :( lol ). When I was running the tank lower nutrient I think this piece struggled at the start. Definitely seems to enjoy "dirty" water. Hopefully, I can maintain growth at the current rate...
What numbers are you running?

BubbleFett42079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along as well. Thanks @Relled for documenting that beautiful Biota Weeping Willow.

Any idea if the polyps/tentacles are thin or thick? Also, do they look more solid in color or transparent?

FeliciaM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the tentacles are skinnier than my other long polyp toadstool, and they are the same color as the rest of the coral. The polyps when they come all the way out are pretty white.

Attachments

• 20210911_184427.jpg
    20210911_184427.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 323860535_685500883216044_1957471620153763558_n.jpg
    323860535_685500883216044_1957471620153763558_n.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 119

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you guys say the tentacles are? Do they weep when flow is off? I myself almost bought one from Biota the other day and luckily I live in Fl so shipping much cheaper so I probably should jump at it BUT what is stopping me(for now anyway) is a local reefer is selling these for 30 bucks and I already am going to pick up some other corals from him, so it seems like a no brainer for the price! He says the tentacles are only 2 inches though. Not sure if he meant right now on the small frags. The pics look almost identical to the one you guys are posting! What do ya'all think?

Attachments

• toadstool1.jpg
    toadstool1.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 76
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 53

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4951.jpeg
IMG_4952.jpeg

I know this is a super late response but do you still have some of the weeping willow frags?

fluffynemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this is a super late response but do you still have some of the weeping willow frags?
Hey, I recently fragged a couple and they are taking hold now. If you're still interested in a few weeks DM me. I do have some awesome green long tentacles toadstools available and honestly they are the most fun to watch as the tentacle lengths extends 3-5 inches on a new frag.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back