Biota yellow tang bloated

jonvo324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About three weeks ago I got biota yellow tang and a pair of mandarins, however recently I noticed the yellow tang seems to be alarmingly bloated, almost suddenly. It still eats and swims around fine. Could it just be constipation or something worse? Is this anything to be concerned about?

IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0043.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
About three weeks ago I got biota yellow tang and a pair of mandarins, however recently I noticed the yellow tang seems to be alarmingly bloated, almost suddenly. It still eats and swims around fine. Could it just be constipation or something worse? Is this anything to be concerned about?

IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0043.jpeg
This is the 4th one this month ive seen and while mysterious appears to be constipation. One thing I can note is 3 of the 5 were fed mainly pelleted foods. If this applies to you, feed it brine shrimp which often serves as a laxative. Another good food is LRS fish frenzy and Nori seaweed basted with Garlic
Is fish breathing and eating normal?

OP
OP
jonvo324

jonvo324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 4th one this month ive seen and while mysterious appears to be constipation. One thing I can note is 3 of the 5 were fed mainly pelleted foods. If this applies to you, feed it brine shrimp which often serves as a laxative. Another good food is LRS fish frenzy and Nori seaweed basted with Garlic
Is fish breathing and eating normal?
Hmm I have been feeding mysid and TDO pellets mostly so it may have been that. It still seems to be eating and breathing normally which seems to be a good sign.

Will baby brine shrimp work? I do hatch and feed to my tank for some nps corals and pod eaters. I don’t have any nori though so I will need to get some to try. Thank you for your reply!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hmm I have been feeding mysid and TDO pellets mostly so it may have been that. It still seems to be eating and breathing normally which seems to be a good sign.

Will baby brine shrimp work? I do hatch and feed to my tank for some nps corals and pod eaters. I don’t have any nori though so I will need to get some to try. Thank you for your reply!
Ideally adult brine But dont see why baby brine would not help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll feed both and see if there’s any changes in the next few days. Hopefully it subsides

Yes - we're seeing this a lot in Biota yellow tangs. Live baby brine shrimp should help. You may also be overfeeding, or feeding too much at one time. These fish are raised on tiny food items, fed in small amounts, multiple times each day.

Jay

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - we're seeing this a lot in Biota yellow tangs. Live baby brine shrimp should help. You may also be overfeeding, or feeding too much at one time. These fish are raised on tiny food items, fed in small amounts, multiple times each day.

Jay
Is bloating an issue for all ages of biota yellow tangs or mainly the younger ones until they settle into their new environment?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is bloating an issue for all ages of biota yellow tangs or mainly the younger ones until they settle into their new environment?

Just seems to be the newly acquired ones, and then, not all of them.

OP
OP
jonvo324

jonvo324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
That could be the case. I do feed heavily and a higher protein diet consisting of mysid shrimp might not be helping. I’ll try splitting it into smaller portions throughout the day

Does it usually go away with time?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be the case. I do feed heavily and a higher protein diet consisting of mysid shrimp might not be helping. I’ll try splitting it into smaller portions throughout the day

Does it usually go away with time?
It has in the cases we’ve tracked here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back