Bioume - BRS 360 on Bacteria DNA

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching the BRS 360 on the Bioume DNA test, and hear Ryan say that many "insta-tanks" perform well because the tank is loaded with alot of corals in a hurry that increases the bio-diversity instantly, it has me wondering.

My tank was started in November 2020 with dry rock and two bottles of bacteria in a bottle. I am now wondering if there is any benefit to adding a few pieces of true ocean farmed live rock OR just getting a few pounds of tank rock from several different LFS near me. I am thinking each LFS must have a different collection of bacteria in their tanks, and if I add them together in my tank, it would raise the diversity compared to what I have now.

Am I over thinking this?

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have the right idea. I am going through the same process.

My first choice was to buy cultured live rock from my LFS but none of them could could provide "real" rock that had been curing for a while, or could assure me their culturing tanks were pest free.

So I went and ordered mine from KP Aquatics instead.

In my limited view, if you can source cured live rock from a couple of different LFSs where you were reasonably certain they were pest-free, I think that would work just as well.

Otherwise, if you aren't going to get pest-free rock then you might as well bite the bullet and get aquacultured rock online ... you will certainly take a bigger chance on pests but will get more biodiversity in trade.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back