A mildly interesting observation of marine bacteria

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I looked at a microscope sample of my water (1 month old, first fish added ~24hrs ago). Wow, so much bacterial diversity! I'm impressed considering I started with only Caribsea Liferock + Ocean Direct.

What surprised me though is how motile these bacteria were compared to those I'm used to observing in freshwater. The spirochetes looked similar but I've never seen rods move like these ones! And they moved in different patterns. Some remained in one place and twirled in circles, others zipped all around like little missiles. Some formed chains that trained along as a unit, others appeared to be feeding on bits of debris or carrying things around. Freshwater bacteria, from my observations, do an awful lot of sitting still in comparison.

I placed a tiny food particle on the slide to see how the bacteria would respond and they got straight to work. I wish I could share some photos/videos but unfortunately they don't show up too well on camera lol.

I already knew the tank was cycled but to see the process in action is certainly pretty cool.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool info. Thanks.

Maybe this is part of why my 40g aio tank with lots of sps & lps corals, a few inverts and no fish stays so clean.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also it's possible to post pics off the slide, just angle a cell phone really close to the objective till you see it appear just right. post some pls

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also it's possible to post pics off the slide, just angle a cell phone really close to the objective till you see it appear just right. post some pls
I used an AmScope; I forget the model but it was ~$100. Looks a little fuzzy on higher magnification but it gets the job done.

The problem is more that my phone's camera isn't great with small/mobile subjects. Pictures of bigger things come out just fine, but bacteria are tougher. Especially because of how fast these ones are! Maybe it'll work better if I take a video and screenshot it. I have a DSLR too but doesn't like to focus through the eyepiece for some reason.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back