A question about dosing Copper and Prazi during quarantine.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to QT, my approach has always been 90 days. During that time, I observe and treat only if signs of disease present. And yes, I realize this is less than ideal. But it has worked for me with only the loss of one fish since starting out in the hobby.

I have set up a 40 Gallon QT in anticipation of adding a FoxFace. The tank is currently at temperature (75 degrees) and I've been bringing up the salinity which is currently at about 28ppt ( en route to 35ppt ).

The tank is equipped with (3) HOB filters. Their sponges are currently in my main display sump, so that they become populated with nitrifying bacteria. I will insert them before I drive to pick up the FoxFace.

I understand that copper needs to be maintained at therapeutic levels for 30 days to be effective. And I also understand that Prazi should be dosed twice, 8 days apart.

Here is my question:

When is the ideal time to does these meds within my 90 observation? My plan was to treat over the first 30 days and then observe.

Also, where copper is concerned, am I bring up the copper levels BEFORE I add the FoxFace or am I placing the FoxFace in QT and THEN bring up copper levels?

Thank you,
Dom

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

Anyone?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bueller.... Bueller... Bueller....

danmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the new fish a little settled in QT before stressing with meds, but that's just me.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert, but I've gone through this cycle a few times. I let the fish settle in for a couple of days and then ramp the copper up to therapeutic over the course of the 3rd day with copper power. I've been told not to ramp up too slowly with copper power because it doesn't really help the fish much but may allow the pathogens to develop resistance.

After the 30 days, I reduce the copper level via a couple of large water changes, and then dose the Parazi a couple of times 8 days apart.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the copper before putting the fish in. Once done with the copper, do prazipro (after day 30).

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the new fish a little settled in QT before stressing with meds, but that's just me.

Agreed. That is the common sense thing to do in my mind.

My Hanna checker, Prazi and copper will be here on Thursday. Probably picking it up tomorrow, so that will give it a day or two to settle in a bit. Once its eating, then I will start meds.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the copper before putting the fish in. Once done with the copper, do prazipro (after day 30).

That may be possible this time around; I will have the fish before I have the meds.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you’re dealing with an active disease outbreak, I would always advise getting the fish settled and eating before adding any copper.

Even though you can drop fish straight into 2 ppm chelated copper I still like to bring up slowly over the course of 4-5 days.

I’d do the full 30 days, remove the copper, then treat with Prazi. Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back