Bird of Paradise STN?

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this bird of paradise coral for fairly cheap at my LFS to try some easier SPS corals. It has great purple polyp extension and is starting to color up to a nice yellow/green on the flesh of the coral!

I am wondering if it is starting to STN. Near the bottom, where the coral is typically shaded, there is a portion where the flesh is lighter with a fairly distinct line. There are still light polyps and polyp extension in this area despite being so pale. Would there still be polyps on a portion of the coral that has STN'd? Should I try to frag off the bottom portion or let it run its course?
IMG_1323.JPG

I apologize for the picture as I just turned on the light a bit to take it and polyp extension is low and colors are quite blue with the phone camera...

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a poccilipora that is doing very well with great polyp extension and good color 4" higher in the tank. (See attached photo). Plenty of flow for both frags.

Alk is at 9.0
Nitrate 4ppm
Phosphate .03
Calcium 450
Magnesium 1480
Salinity 35ppt
Temp 77f

I don't feel like my Alk is high due to my nutrient levels, but I could be wrong.

Should I frag it? I don't want to risk losing the whole thing and I think I should be able to cut it while keeping most of it.
IMG_1309.JPG

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to say if you should frag it or not.

Your parameters are fine; it also looks like a fresh frag, so it is possible the tissue recession is just part of its own healing process (thus fragging it again will only make it worse). But on the other hand if the bottom tissue is sick, then fragging it will help.

So, how does it look today?

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like over the last 2-3 weeks it has slowly crept up from the bottom. It doesn't look any better...

I decided to frag it, dip it, and glue directly to my rock. We'll see if I made matters worse in a couple of weeks.

The polyps were out in full force within 5 minutes of gluing it, so the coral as a whole can't be too angry...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back