Birds eye view: do you take top-down shots of your reef?

Do you take top-down shots of your reef?

• Yes, I have successfully taken top down shots of my reef.

Votes: 137 35.3%
  • I’ve tried with mixed or limited success.

Votes: 105 27.1%
  • No, I haven’t tried.

Votes: 144 37.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet Mo Devlin aka Aquamojo could take some amazing coral shots! Would love to see more Marine work out of him. I love his contributions to photography and aquaculture.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drunk Spring Break GIF by The Lonely Island
partying jersey shore GIF

Fish are ok through the glass but the reef tank was designed for a 'God's eye viewing' experience, imo.

Sadly, my phone pictures taken form either direction are corrupted by the spectral intensity of the tank lights and the surfaces i am picturing through. I forgot about submersible cameras. I might want to get one for fun and sharing?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top down is a more "realistic" view of the reef as when u dive I tend to look at most corals top down and not from the side.
Most of our tanks are a bit on the low sode and scape and coral growing up leads to one looking at many corals from below or at non optimal viewing angle when looking through tank glass so top.dowm.allows us to better appreciate looking at coral colors and structure.
Glass also has a tint so takes away from the beauty of looking at one's corals.
Taking pics through glass has its own challenges with distortion caused by the glass and reflections which makes it tricky, topndown shots are way easier and nicer and at of better quality as a 10-20mm glass always takes away from the clarity of a picture.
Water ripples from fish motion or wave makers as well as reflection of tanknlighting are a challenge so a top down viewing box or a porthole for camera or phone makes it much easier.
And on the bright side you can participate in the pic of the month contest in the photography forum and win an Avaast porthole every month

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck with shooting top down. I turn off all the flow and move my lights around to reduce glare. The colors of the coral seem much more intense when viewing them from above.

20230214_180323.jpg
20230129_223329.jpg
20221112_225951.jpg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely do, maybe once a year.
But boy it looks good even when I'm not trying.

These are about 1/2-1 year old pics, looking back at the display pic now and I realized some of these little frags not only grew to fully blown colonies, but already been taken apart and grew back to mid-large size frags again now lol

Display:
1679239049599.jpeg

Sump ("frag chamber"):
1679239354249.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back