Bit of an Emergency

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little confused but maybe I missed something.

Does he not have water in his tank? Just put the rocks in a bucket and fill it up with the tank water. Same for the fish. Then you have water already and water that the fish and rocks are used to. Put it all in the tank when you get home and add some prime to neutralize ammonia.

I’d take all that water you can get. Has lots of good stuff in it.

Find out what temp he has his tank at now. Set your car temp to the same. You might have to suffer some but your fish won’t.

Did I miss a discussion about whether or not this tank has Ich or similar? If so that’s an entirely different discussion about how to proceed when you get home.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fiesty @Phildago

So based on what I've done, they should be fine for the night right? Hoping to have them in the big tank tomorrow.

I'll be honest I temp acclimated all the fish except the starfish and lionfish. Forgot about the starfish and didn't really want to handle the lionfish lol. But they all seem to be doing a lot better right now. Good movement and colors are coming back.

I'll definitely post pictures tomorrow if everything goes according to plan.

Yeah after flicking the hydrometer a few times it seems to be working properly now.

Id say u doing the best u can and good chance the fish will be fine. People stress about temp changes, etc. but Ive been snorkeling in many places around the world and it always surprises me how u can be swimming along a reef in warm water and all of a sudden a cold blast comes by. Especially when along the deeper outer parts of the reef and there r always tons of healthy fish swimming around. I think the thing to worry about is the amount of multiple stress factors they have been hit with all at once. For that reason, and depending on your sump setup, Id consider keeping them in there for a few days. Giving u time to set up rock in display without having to stress them more as u move things around and netting them again so soon.

Also, as soon as u get your rodi figured out I would be making as much extra good saltwater asap and getting it up to temp so can be ready for some water changes. A brutte trash can or two can help with this to mix and let settle and uo to temp.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller is really a piece of work.
Can't see how you could be doing much better, given that the fish are being dumped on you before you've had time to prepare. Best of luck. Hope you're taking pictures along the way. This could be a great story.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jesus Christ, Buddha, and Mohomad arm wrestling on a freight train :eek: that seller is sure putting you through the ringer and I’m glad you’re there to give those poor creatures a soft landing. You should stock up on Seachem Prime so you can deal with the ammonia spikes that are sure to happen from all this stress.

I will be following your build thread.

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope all is well and I think you’ve done a good job so far. Keep us posted and good luck!
How did it turn out?

I think things are going well, I posted a build thread on it with an update today. The fish are going to be going into the big tank around midnight, waiting on the temp to go up.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned coral frags and scrubbing rocks. Prob slim chance of anything bad happening but please wear eye protection and gloves. There are a few corals that can make you sick. usually very low risk to us BUT the danger rises when doing things like scrubbing/cleaning Rocks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back