Bite marks on toadstools?

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had my softie tank 125 gallon going for about 4 years. Everything doing well. I was away for a week and came back to what look like bite marks on 3 of the toadstools, right at the edges.

Trying to think of who the culprit is - I have a decorator crab that usually leaves these guys alone - picks more at gsps and Kenya trees. Maybe my urchin?? Or … is it a pest I can’t see??

Help!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like some of the flesh is sloughing off. Definitely looks like some of the crown is missing. Have you seen any pieces of the leather on the decorator crab?

OP
OP
TinnysReef

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven’t seen him with any on him. Unless they are tiny pieces I can’t appreciate. But I’ve had him for over a year and have never seen him nip at the toadstools.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the following..

Make observations, especially at night when the leathers are closed up and lower to the rock work and possibly more susceptible.

Keep an eye out for signs of infection and remove the leather, cutting out necrotic flesh, and dipping at first sign of infection.

Was anyone watching your tank while you were gone who may have taken a razor blade and made themselves a few frags?

OP
OP
TinnysReef

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I’ll watch tonight. No secret fraggers lol. I just dipped them, and it definitely looks like bite marks. Maybe the decorator was trying something new?

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck, if you find the offender snap a photo of them in the act! Keep me posted.

OP
OP
TinnysReef

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No culprits caught for 2 nights, but no additional “bites.” The toadstools are all opening up again. I’ll keep an eye but hopefully this is it.

Had another thought- would hungry harlequin shrimp do it?? They’re munching on a chocolate chip starfish and happy now but would they bite toadstools??

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back