Bits in the water driving me mad!

AdamK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally as the title says. There's so much stuff flying around in my water, and it's driving me mad!

I've a 300l system, running uv, carbon, oversized roller mat, big skimmer. My water is gin clear. White bucket test is a pass! The fish would look like floating in air if it wasn't for all the little bits of whatever floating around. I'll watch a fish take a dump, then soon enough it hits a powerhead and gets sprayed all over the place. Then there's other suspended particles. Uneaten food, etc. I've dropped down on feeding, but it still happens. Its driving me mad.

It's not sand. I do have sand but its quite course, and any of that that gets picked up drops right back down again.

Why isn't my mechanical filtration doing the job? I'm running a 4k lph return pump at 80%, it's like my sump isn't turning water over fast enough, but by the numbers it's very much enough. I feel like hooking up a big canister filter full of nothing but floss and running that, but I know it'd be a nutrients factory within hours!

What am I missing? Any tips?

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha

You sound similar to me

Due to my pickiness, etc., my local fish store owner told me that I had no business owning a fish tank.

If you come up with a solution - LET ME KNOW

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like hooking up a big canister filter full of nothing but floss and running that, but I know it'd be a nutrients factory within hours!
Not necessarily.
If you run the canister, just clean it often. It won't cause any water quality issues in a short period of time
I was going to suggest temporarily running a power filter or micron filter in the main tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back