BK's will be wrasse and SPS Dominated 120

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be my fourth build in the last four years.

It started with my 110 tall:
20131005_170749_zpsebdba4ac.jpg

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/110-build-thread.94800/

Then I moved into a 180:
20140720_211456_zps7mbvpnvi.jpg

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bknapps-stealth-180.148862/

After a crash and battle with AEFW I gave myself the ultimatum of get out of the hobby or downsize. I've battled with regretting the decision of downsizing, I went down to a 93 Marineland cube in 11/15, was never completely happy with that tank and so about six months into the cube I sold it, kept most of the equipment.

Wrasses are among my favorite fish and the will be plenty in the 120, as I've already got four in QT awaiting addition to the tank. These include the following:

- Female Bluestar Leopard
- Pair of pin tail fairy
- Orange Sided fairy

Would like to add a few more such as:

- Flame wrasse
- Rhomboid
- Red Velvet Fairy

I've also got a powder blue tang, magnificent fox face, tail spot blenny and a pair of Sustainable Aquatics Frostbite Clowns. These fish are spread out in two QT tanks a 40 breeder and a 20 long.

All of my Corals are in a 20 gallon, all three tanks are in my kitchen and I'm sure even though she hasn't said anything (yet) I'm sure my old lady wants her kitchen back, LOL.

I haven't yet got the tank but I will be getting it in the next few weeks and I hope to live up to what the previous owners have been able to do with it.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the equipment list:

Tank: Oceanic Tech 120 (48*24*24) with Starfire front.
Stand: Steel
Lighting: Modified 8 Bulb T5 (more on this soon.) Will have a total of four T5 (2 Coral+, 2 Blue+) and two Gen 1 Ecotech Radions with TIR lenses.
Flow: Two Ecotech MP40QD.
Return Pump: Ehiem 1262
Manifold: Pump is a Mag 9.5 it will be running Warner Marine ecoBAK bio pellets and a calcium reactor.
Bio pellets: ecoBAK in a Triton Aquatics BlueFin reactor
Calcium Reactor: Geo CR510 with matching Geo UMC410 reactor as a second chamber.
Skimmer: ATB Elegance Pro 200
Controller: Neptune Apex with BOB, WXM, two pH probes
Heaters: 300 and 150 watt Eheim Jagers
Top Off : Tunze Osmolator with the original Atomic Reef smoked top off box

Last edited:
OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the skimmer cleaned and reassembled today. My rock is currently soaking in RO water, I plan to start adding salt, heat, flow and ammonia to it over the weekend.

IMG_20160507_112939.jpg

IMG_20160507_112957.jpg

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the quick acid bath last Saturday, then five days soaking in tap water with Prime and vinegar (changed daily) and two days soaking in RO water my rocks are officially in salt water! I'll be adding pure ammonia and MB7 to help kick start the cycle and maturation process. I've got a long ways to go but I'm one step closer!

IMG_20160507_203427.jpg

Now to figure out my Radion/WXM communication issue.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for riding along @revhtree

Five days until tank pick up.

I've been working on trying to get the Radions and WXM to cooperate with each other, haven't had much luck. Ice asked for help here on r2r and in a FB group and haven't had much luck and @EcoTech Marine pretty much says there's nothing I can do without WiFi so I plan on taking them back out of the fixture and connecting them to WiFi. If I can't fix the issues I'm having I'll have to look into another lighting situation.

I'm going to go on a little rant here:

These companies EcoTech and Neptune shouldn't make everything web based, you should be able to easily use and program their products. I feel I should be able to easily connect to the lights or controller with a computer (with or without internet) and get them going. This entire situation with the Radions has slightly changed my views on EcoTech and their products.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the water hoarding begin!

IMG_20160509_223428.jpg

Thanks to @d2mini I've now got a way to communicate with my Radions! Thanks man.

Looking for opinions on this: With two Radions and four T5 I was planning on running the T5 for like four or five hours a day at the peak of the LED intensity and running the Radions for close to 12 hours, they ramp up and down during those hours. Does that sound like a good plan or should I flip it around and run the T5 much longer?

Thanks.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your original plan to run the t5s for only peak hours would be best, def get some nice par with that bulb combo.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back