Black and White Heniochus in a mixed reef tank

Fishguy1079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all so I have what a I like to call a Semi-reef tank(125G). Meaning some live rock/some artificial decoration as well. I just have LED's so I only keep lower light level corals and inverts of course. Pretty much all I have in there and all I'm pretty much ever planning on keeping in there is Mushrooms, polyps(button and star polyps), and I recently got some pulsing xenia from my LFS that he grows. In my last reef tank I had a few unconventional choices(sm clown trigger, small panther grouper, copperband BF) and they never seemed to go after these kinds of corals. What are my chances that the Heniochus stay away from these ? There from reef beauties so I know there H. Acuminatus.

Thanks!

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been Heniochus have a taste for most zooanthids and Palys. As well as fleshy LPS like Brains ( Trachys, Favia, etc) Micromussa, Acans, Cynarina etc. They tend to leave SPS alone as well as hammers and torches and various other corals depending on the individual.

OP
OP
F

Fishguy1079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been Heniochus have a taste for most zooanthids and Palys. As well as fleshy LPS like Brains ( Trachys, Favia, etc) Micromussa, Acans, Cynarina etc. They tend to leave SPS alone as well as hammers and torches and various other corals depending on the individual.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I went ahead and ordered a couple small ones from R.B. I guess I'll have to see what they do. Worst case I could move them to my FOWLR tank. If they live that is, I tried a few before I converted my tank over to a reef and they didn't do well at all. But that was from a different source. But before that I had 3 that lived 5+ years. So I guess I'll see. So zooanthids are all of the polyps right? Like even the big button polyps? When I had those before I never saw anything go after them(even a Clown trigger and Copperband BF).

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Yeah I went ahead and ordered a couple small ones from R.B. I guess I'll have to see what they do. Worst case I could move them to my FOWLR tank. If they live that is, I tried a few before I converted my tank over to a reef and they didn't do well at all. But that was from a different source. But before that I had 3 that lived 5+ years. So I guess I'll see. So zooanthids are all of the polyps right? Like even the big button polyps? When I had those before I never saw anything go after them(even a Clown trigger and
I would guess the big button polyps you are referring to are a Palythoa and not a zooanthid. Maybe Palythoa grandis. I have seen Heniochus individuals have differing tastes for Palys. Anywhere from leveling them, to nipping them and keeping them partially closed, to leaving them alone. I'm guessing it has to do with different factors like how much they are fed and whether they get curious about trying out different corals. Maybe where they are collected and what they are eating in the wild as well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 106 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back