Black back on new tank or no?

reefrottie

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2011
Messages
272
Reaction score
23
Location
Fort Worth, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of ordering a new custom tank, and have seen some with the clear back. What do you all think of those? I think it looks amazing, but I'm sure there are angles that I'm not considering.
 
I think they look amazing if set up correctly. Personally I think these tanks look awesome when the rock structure are emerging out and up from the centre base of the tank.
This makes the structure viewable from all sides, almost looks like an outcrop of rock emerging from the ocean floor and the black highlights the colors too.
Ill bet it allows for lots of creative flow too.
 
If it's a peninsula style tank the clear back is advantageous, gives you more viewing panels but if against a wall I would go black on the back wall. Definitely makes corals and colors pop more. Planet aquariums puts a black film on the outside of the back glass thats real sleek.
 
If you are setting it up as a peninsula go clear, otherwise I prefer black. Most overflows are black anyway, and it hides cords, plumbing and drywall. It also makes the corals pop. Until it gets covered in coralline.
 
I also prefer black against any walls mine is on a corner and the side and back are both black I think it gives a cleaner look
 
My aquavim piano wave came with a black vinyl covering over the back glass. At first I was ****** because I wanted it viewable from both sides, but it's against a partial wall and only viewable from the landing of the steps, so one would look up and see all the cords and stuff before seeing the tank. I actually ended up drapping black fabric (very decorative) over the back of the tank to cover the cords and stuff from the lights, etc. So, and with the back covering, I'm not sure coraline will grow or if it does how visible it will be.. I also have a really tough time getting to the back to clean the glass, so, this is much better for me. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new