Black Bugs, Videos, Pictures, Questions???

JustinZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

A few months ago I discovered black bugs on a few of my montipora setosa and stellata colonies. Over time, they spread to my acros, causing low PE and slow growth. Has anyone successfully dealt with these? Seems they are next to impossible to get rid of. I have six line wrasse and multiple scooter bennies. These seem to be different then the "black bug" that looks more like a flatoworm. I find these very similar to large red bugs that will actually dig into and live INSIDE the coral polyps. Any advice before I tear down the tank and throw (thousands of dollars) of the corals in the bin.

Check out the pictures and videos below. They are from a chunk of M. stellata in a Revive dip. They are still alive after 10 minutes and if you dip the same coral the next day there are more that haven't died. Make sure to use HD if you can.

At 18 seconds you can see the bugs emerging from the coral polyp.

Black Bugs 1.jpg

Black Bugs 3.jpg

Justin

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JustinZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had success using Dr. G's product. Dosage? I would be doing an in tank treatment.

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

A few months ago I discovered black bugs on a few of my montipora setosa and stellata colonies. Over time, they spread to my acros, causing low PE and slow growth. Has anyone successfully dealt with these? Seems they are next to impossible to get rid of. I have six line wrasse and multiple scooter bennies. These seem to be different then the "black bug" that looks more like a flatoworm. I find these very similar to large red bugs that will actually dig into and live INSIDE the coral polyps. Any advice before I tear down the tank and throw (thousands of dollars) of the corals in the bin.

Check out the pictures and videos below. They are from a chunk of M. stellata in a Revive dip. They are still alive after 10 minutes and if you dip the same coral the next day there are more that haven't died. Make sure to use HD if you can.

At 18 seconds you can see the bugs emerging from the coral polyp.

Black Bugs 1.jpg

Black Bugs 3.jpg

Justin

I have something similar going on with my montipora. Any updates?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back