Black Cap Basslet experiences

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realy would like to try one out but wonder just how secretive they are. My ideal choice would be P fridmani but they are so secretive I thought I might opt for a Black Cap instead. Any first hand knowledge as to just how secretive these guys are would be appreciated.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know as well since my Gramma never came out other than feeding time and I would like a more social replacement after he decided to kamakaze the nero 5.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine built an entire cave system under a rock and is out some times but is very skittish and will dash for cover when I approach the tank.

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve have 1 currently and he is def a shy guy, but is starting to warm up and show his face more. Has a wonderful personality and is eating pellets now. They definitely aren’t column swimming fish.. more so just chillen in their hangout and coming out every now and then

OP
OP
A sea K

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback! Seems as though this is pretty much the norm for any of these fish. It's a shame considering how colorful they are, sure would be nice to see them more often.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is pretty confident. Have him for almost 2 years. He stays in his den a little bit, but is normally swimming outside it and a couple of time a day he'll venture around the tank to tell me its food time lol.
20200816_185304.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have both fish in different tanks and they do act very similar.
I have 3 fridmani in my 240 that have gotten use to the activity in the tank and do recognize me as the giver of food, so I see them out more and more.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve had one for about 5 years and she’s definitely on the shy side. She comes out to feed, but other than that keeps mostly to the shadows. It might be because we have a few larger more aggressive fish like a blue tang, male lyre tail and foxface.

She shows no aggression towards other fish, but every once in a while will defend herself from the male lyre tail. She opens her mouth huge, and he backs off. She’s like, “I’m nice, but don’t push it.”

Even though she’s shy, she’s my favorite fish. Absolutely beautiful! I don’t think I’d have another tank without one, and my daughter wouldn’t let me.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had mine for about 2 years as well. Definitely a timid fish and doesn’t bother much of anyone unless they try and steal its cave. Only explores when it’s being fed other than that it stays in its den. Finally got a shot of him!

968BEB19-C775-430C-9FD7-2A423EEBD1C5.jpeg

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2. They are pretty shy and usually only stay by their rock/caves. They'll come out during feeding time, but still very cautious and hover near their homes. I added a royal gramma later and he's even more active than them. Cool fish, just wish they would be more active.

Bnichols124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black cap is a boss, a little skittish if I do something to the tank, if its feeding time noramlly the first to eat. I call her grumpy (like my wife durring that time of the month) and its her fish. Other then that she just defends her spot

OP
OP
A sea K

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be more or less YMMV situation dependent mostly on the individual fishes personality. Been trying to decide between the Blackcap a RG or Orchid. Of the three the Blackcap is the only fish I've yet to have and all three seem pretty similar in habit. Guess I'll give it a whirl and see how it shapes up.
Thanks for everyones input.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back