Black eye soldier fish or squirrel fish compatibility

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon FOWLR with some GSP . I recently bought a soldier/squirrel fish 4 inch long from liveaquaria. The note indicated its a very peacful fish and can only a threat to shrimps and brittle stars . I dont have shrimps or starfish in my tank. I have few damsels in my tank. Any one have any experiences with these fish . Anyone ever experienced the fish eating smal fish like damsesl or clownfih? I have few large turbosnails too. The fish is still in QT . I am now scared to put that in my tank. I fed it 2 cubes of krill and it just swallowed both the cubes without any issues:(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon FOWLR with some GSP . I recently bought a soldier/squirrel fish 4 inch long from liveaquaria. The note indicated its a very peacful fish and can only a threat to shrimps and brittle stars . I dont have shrimps or starfish in my tank. I have few damsels in my tank. Any one have any experiences with these fish . Anyone ever experienced the fish eating smal fish like damsesl or clownfih? I have few large turbosnails too. The fish is still in QT . I am now scared to put that in my tank. I fed it 2 cubes of krill and it just swallowed both the cubes without any issues:(

They have pretty large mouths, so they can eat proportionally larger food. They are also more active at night when other fish are asleep., so if the clownfish/damsels were really small, they might be eaten. Normal sized damsels should be safe.

These are peaceful fish otherwise, they won't bother anything they can't swallow outright.

Do you know which species you have?

Jay

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have pretty large mouths, so they can eat proportionally larger food. They are also more active at night when other fish are asleep., so if the clownfish/damsels were really small, they might be eaten. Normal sized damsels should be safe.

These are peaceful fish otherwise, they won't bother anything they can't swallow outright.

Do you know which species you have?

Jay
Thanks Jay
Its this one . I bought a small cchromis fish and put him in QT to check it out. The soldier fish went bonkers trying to eat it . So I rehomed him yesterday gave it to my LFS . Not good for a community tank with small fishes eventhough it mentions the fish is peaceful

1697469520112.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back