Black ich.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of tang and are 2 talking little spots like ich only black or bigger block spots?

OP
OP
dodger745

dodger745

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea sailfin. He's about 9-10" from mouth to tip of tail. He's a fat healthy eater. It's definitely small black spots. He's itching every now and then. He keeps trying to get the coral banded shrimp to clean him. I've been feeding selcon soaked pellets, sheets of nori and his large appetite is still there. I can tell the spots are bothering him thoigh

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat the whole tank with prazipro and pull out any inhabitants that it effects if you have any to your qt. The black spots are a type of parasite so it is already in your tank.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. It is one of the few. I would remove any ornamental worms if you have any. Just add it slowly as to not stress the sps near the point you are adding.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You will want to do that and follow the directions on the bottle for treatment and waterchanges. The black spots are the larval stages of a free adult worm so you are going to want to do another treatment even after all the spots disappear just to make sure you killed them all

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so your aware the other option is to treat like ick. Removing all fish, treating them with something, there is more options in a qt tank, and letting the display run fallow.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is not 100% reef safe. It will nuke Xenia and other similar corals.

Hmm I never had a problem with my xenia or anthelia when I used it. They were not happy at first but got over it.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no Xenia. But I do have a large Kenya tree lol

I don't think a nuclear bomb going off in your tank could take out that.... but to err on the side of caution if there is a coral you can't live without it may be best to qt it. I mean they are individual animals and I know medication that is safe for one person can kill another.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 3 treatments so I would estimate 3 weeks. After 2 treatments all the spots where gone but you want to make sure you get all of the other life stages

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no set amount but between 20 and 50 would probably be good depending on your system.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back